Monday, April 9, 2012

BOYCOTT CORPORATE ARTISAN CRAP

Lately, I've been hearing the word "artisan" far too much. Allow me to clear up the definition:

Definition of ARTISAN
1: a worker who practices a trade or handicraft : craftsperson
2: one that produces something (a cheese or wine) in limited quantities often using traditional methods

That said, I do NOT think that Domino's Pizza, Dunkin Donuts, Panerra Bread or anything from Giant Eagle (or most chain grocery stores) qualifies.

Yes, I'm aware that this is very nitpicky of me. Once in a while, that's how I am. But in all seriousness, I don't like CORPORATIONS ripping folks off...which is what they're doing here...moreso than usual.

Over the years, I have enjoyed many things made by true artisans. A fine wine that no one has ever heard of; a hand-made guitar by someone most have never heard of, a hand-made sweater of exceptional quality, these are examples of true artisans. Cheap, processed crap thrown together haphazardly in a factory somewhere by someone who may or may not have had an ENTIRE DAY's worth of training DOES NOT QUALIFY.

My other problem: while this is still just cheap, processed crap, these corporations feel that by adding the word 'artisan' to their product, that YOU the consumer won't mind paying EXTRA for it. This is just how stupid corporations think people are.

I personally boycott ANYTHING that advertises itself as "artisan". I think everyone should. It might send the message to the corporate world that the master plan ain't working. Alas...it probably is.

If you want a truly artisan pizza, don't go to Dominos (which is owned by an Irish family, the Doyles....which could explain why it tastes NOTHING like Italian pizza). Find a popular local mom & pop pizza shop (always the best). Same with bagels. Find a small bakery, preferably in an area with a high Jewish concentration. I'm not stereotyping here, I'm going to the source! While I'm known for making a wicked gumbo, I can guarantee you that most cajun grandmas make it better.

Most of my friends already probably boycott the crap. But to those out there that aren't...go for the real thing...the good stuff...not the processed corporate crap. Oftentimes, it will cost LESS, be of better quality, and will further the traditions of true artisans.

BOYCOTT CRAP...especially if it has the word "artisan" on it.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to head into the kitchen to make an artisan midnight snack. Fried leftover ham on toast...just the way my grandmother taught me to make it...and her grandmother before her.

No comments:

Post a Comment