Tuesday, June 4, 2013

I sold a guitar...

I sold a guitar today. This, in and of itself, is nothing unusual. I've sold dozens of guitars over the years. Some I bought for no reason other than to sell. Some, I sold to upgrade my gear. This one, I sold because I desperately needed money. Luckily, I sold it to a dear friend. I know that she and her husband will take great care of it and show it love. It will be played. It will be enjoyed and hopefully give joy to those who play it as well as those who hear it being played.

This guitar is special. It's not the fanciest guitar in the world nor is it the most expensive. It's just a guitar...but it holds within it's wooden body much magic. In the years that it's been in my possession, it's been played by some well-known musicians and by some amazing players...as well as by unknowns and rudimentary players. I'll never tell who all has played it. That would risk the guitar being placed in it's case and not being played. This particular instrument was meant to be played. It has absorbed the love of music of many musicians. It has it's own mojo.

I bought the guitar, used, at a time when I couldn't really afford to. Circumstances presented themself which enabled me to buy it. Within a few days, I was offered a solo show that more than paid for the guitar. I have done a number of such shows with it.

I went through one of my deep depressions and had barely touched a guitar for months. When this one came along, that switch inside of my brain clicked on and I would play it for sometimes 10-12 hours per day. I started to teach myself different styles on this guitar. I played ragtime on it. I played country blues on it. It was on this guitar that I finally unlocked my own personal mystery...slide guitar.  It was this guitar that led me to my deep and undying love of open tunings. As a friend pointed out to me at the time, "Open tunings give it the moan".

I hadn't planned to sell this guitar. I was trying to sell another one. My friend asked if I had one 'like this' to sell. I told her I would sell it to her. I did so because she is my friend. Sure, I needed the money...but knowing that it would be going to someone like her made it much easier to do.

I polished up the guitar for her. I cleaned the case. I played it one last time. When she came over, she brought with her a case of beer. I showed her the guitar, told her all she needed to know about it, showed off the case, and put the guitar in her hands. We spent a few hours, catching up, checking out one of my ukuleles (she too understands the joy of the uke!), having pizza and beers and talking about life in general. I definitely knew that selling the guitar to her was the right thing to do.

She has said numerous times that should the time come that I want to buy it back, she would happily sell it back to me. What she doesn't realize yet is this guitar has found a new home. It's time with me is finished. It's a tool and it has finished it's job here. It has magic to share with her and her family. It will be there, waiting to be played and waiting to share it's own special mojo.

It's a special guitar. While I will miss playing it and hearing it's sound, I will forever carry the magic it shared with me. It renewed my love of playing. It taught me so many new things...new sounds, new riffs.

I sold a guitar today...and I'm happy that I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment