Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Life's midsized ups and downs...

I worked Halloween night and have to say, it was a blast. I had another indoor office cookout for my clients (I work in the mental health field for those that don't know) and we all had a blast! Hot dogs on the Foreman grill, chips, pop and of course, tons of Halloween candy! And I did it all on a budget! Gotta love the dollar store! LOL Speaking of which, I picked up the most awesome deli style mustard at the dollar store. Nice and spicy...I can't wait to try it on leftover ham on marble rye! (I guess this means I will have to cook a ham at some point). For you mustard lovers out there, the brand is Koop's (deli style). I highly recommend it!

After working a 10 hour night shift, we had a mandatory staff meeting in the morning. I personally hate these because they tend to be USELESS. Client updates...I'm of the mind that if one is paying attention at work AND reading progress notes, all if this is already known. Everyone usually bickers and banters and whines and whinges. Not what I need to deal with after already working for 10 hours.

This meeting started out the same as usual...but then we got the bomb dropped on us. Effective Decemeber 31, 2011 our program is being shut down. Reason: major funding cuts. And I mean MAJOR! Factor in poor management on my boss' part and we've lost whatever foothold we had. In 24 years in this field, I have never worked in a program that has been SHUT DOWN! This is a professional embarassment to me...but it also says a lot about our current economy.

As if this wasn't bad enough, my car died on the way to work last night. I had just left the house and the car seemed fine. Then all of a sudden, like a scene from a sci fi flick, the car just went dead. Engine quit (quietly...no choking or sputtering), lights went out, radio, everything. I coasted to the curb and tried to see if it would start but...ZILCH. NADA. Not even a click. Probably one of those damned pain in the butt sensors that the auto industry puts in just to make the average joe (or josephine) have to spend money. Gotta boost the economy somehow! LOL
So a I walked to the store, called a cab and got to work 30 minutes late (a 1st for me!).

While all may sound glum, I'm choosing to be positive about this. I was planning on going back to school in January anyway, so this will actually make it easier for me. Working nights and going to school full time was going to be a strain...so this should work out nicely. Plus, I get to take all of my accrued paid time off with me, so I'll be leaving with an extra couple of grand. And I'll have time (hopefully) to go back to playing music again! I'm not thrilled about having to rely on it for a living but I've done it before, so what the heck.

Also, an old friend and former co-worker just hipped me on to an agency she's been working at part-time. (Thanks Michele!) I was looking at their web site and it looks right up my alley. And the bulk of the shifts are 3-11, so that will fit in nicely with my schooling!

All I have to do now is wait to see how much the car repair is going to set me back. I love my Olds...really. But I may have to accept the fact that it may be time to get a new(er) car. The Olds has been good to me. I've driven that car all over the eastern half of the US and it really has never given me much trouble. But in the past few months it's needed a freeze plug replaced, a new radiator, and now this. It may be time. But...we'll see. I've already talked to a dealership and they're willing to get me financing (even with my dubious credit history! LOL $80k hospital bill be damned!)

See! Even at the worst, one can find something to be positive about! Worst case scenario, I go on unemployment. I've never had an unemployment check in my life and I've been working since I was 14. I may be OK with sitting on my ass (doing homework lol) and getting paid for it.

The holidays are coming up...so lets all be good to ourselves!

Roger. Wilco. Over & out! End of transmission.....

No comments:

Post a Comment