Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Modern American Slavery



My mother always taught me to be an individual; to be myself. I've always tried to follow that advice. I definitely dance to the beat of my own drum!

But how many of us can honestly say this? Many of us like to think we're unique and individualistic but in reality most are slaves to conformity. You may think you're doing your own thing but are you?

Corporations, the media, and even the government keep you enslaved. And they do it without you even noticing.

Look at advertising. In urban neighborhoods, you'll see more advertisements for Newport and/or Kool cigarettes than Marlboros. In short, the cigarette companies are telling YOU what to smoke. Put on daytime television. Now there's some amazing advertising! Put on a show like Jerry Springer or Maury. Then watch the ads. You'll see lots of commercials for vocational schools. In short, your being told what your jobs will be. Sure, it could be said that the advertisers are merely reaching out for their target audience...but is that the case or are people being subconsciously told what to do?

Now let's look at social groups. Ever been to a gay bar? You'll hear some of the worst music in the world there...repetitive, senseless, electronic crap. Ever wonder who decided to play that music? Sure...it may be good to dance to...but there's a lot of other music out there. Same with straight bars. You'll hear predictable crap there too. Again, ever wonder who decides what songs are 'hits'? Simple. Corporations do. Investigate who owns the major record labels. You might be surprised. And if you think a 'hit' is based on sales...think again. Gold/platinum records are not based on sales. They're based on units shipped. Shipped...not sold. Do you want a hit record? Ship 1 million copies to record stores. Fudge your download numbers. It's not that difficult. In short, you're being told what to listen to.

OK kids...look at how you dress. Who decides that? I was Xmas shopping a few years ago and saw a kid dressed exactly like I used to 30 years ago! Mohawk, black trench coat, punk rock buttons all over it. I looked at him and started laughing. He tried to act tough until I pointed out that he was a clone of ME from 30 years past! His dad or whoever the other "old fart" in line and I shared a good laugh. The kid looked completely deflated. Like a certain style of music? You better dress the part! Get your Doc Martens or creepers or wear your pants halfway down your ass. It's all part of THE UNIFORM! You're a slave!

One could say that I'm stuck with a certain look. The reality is, I dress for comfort. I admittedly have an affinity for black t-shirts, checked shirts, and jeans. I wear whatever tennis shoes I find comfortable. (I actually hate shoes...I'd prefer to wear slippers all of the time...but I too must conform on occasion, regardless of the physical pain it causes me)

I realized some years ago that I was wearing a "uniform". Being a "rockabilly" musician, people expected me to look a certain way. So I went out of my way to change it. You'd be surprised at some of the reactions I got! I actually heard comments like "You can't wear your hair like that!" and "You don't look rockabilly!" It was hilarious! And these people were so serious!

Everything from where you live (or want to live), everything you do (or think you want to do), etc. is decided for you! Believe it or not! We're told what the desirable is. But ask yourself, is it really what YOU want?

Drugs. They're baaaaaaaaad m'kay! But guess what...you're a slave to them too! The government's war on drugs is a joke. The government brings a lot of them in! And then there's the legal drugs. You NEED your coffee, your Coke/Pepsi/Mt. Dew! The TV tells you about all the new medications that you just might need (and you will probably convince yourself and your doc that you need them!).

Food. This is good for you. This is bad for you. No wait...its good for you. No, wait... When I was a kid, butter and eggs were considered bad for you. Now they're not. What we have forgotten is that as long as we eat a relatively healthy diet, and in moderation, we're OK! But we need QUICK! FAST! IMMEDIATE! Load it up with chemicals we can't even pronounce! We'll eat it...because we're told to.

And meal times...you do realize that they are based around WORK. You eat breakfast to fuel yourself up for the workday. You eat lunch as a brief refueling...then dinner when you get home. But in reality...your body doesn't like this! Your body would prefer numerous smaller meals throughout the day. Don't believe me? Look it up.

See! I just told you what to do!

We're even told what to think. This is very scary! Those that we view as authority figures tell us what to think. It starts by telling us what we want to hear. Then slip in some good old fashioned fear...and voila! Thought control! We hear it enough times and we begin to view it as fact. Even when our own common sense tells us its wrong.

We're all slaves...to someone or some thing...and most of us are completely unaware of it. I guess ignorance really is bliss.

1 comment:

  1. Very cool.. you couldn't be more right! It's definitely a big part of living in America, that quite frankly, I am embarrased by. All the stupid fashion trends in clothes and music that set up "rules of the game", and ridiculous stereotypes that people succumb to and continue to fuel.. oy vey

    ReplyDelete