Skip to main content

It's been 1 month!!!!!!

I quit drinking alcohol 1 month ago and ya know what, I feel great! Sobriety seems to suit me well. Now a lot of you are probably wondering why I quit drinking. To answer those queries, no, I don't believe I have any kind of drinking problem. I don't crave alcohol. I don't think that it in any way really got in my way in life. Simply put, I just figured it was time. I was tired of losing a day recovering after a night out. Even if I only had a few beers, the next day I'd usually feel worn out, so it was no longer worth it. Also, I noticed that alcohol would intensify my emotions a good deal. The last 2 times I went out drinking, I almost hit people...not good. On NYE, some little dirtbag was trying to mooch cigs off of me...something that most days doesn't phase me...but for some reason, this guy just set me off and I was ready to brain him! As I prefer to be in complete control of my temper at all times, I knew I had to stop.

I've noticed a few things with my new-found sobriety:

I have a helluva lot more energy! And money too! I'd usually drop $40 everytime I went out...so that money is going for new toys now!

Alcohol smells. I never really noticed how bad it smelled until recently. While it doesn't bother me to be around people who are drinking, the smell bothers me a bit.

Drunks are funny...in small doses. After about 10 minutes, they just become irritating.

I no longer worry when I see a cop behind me! In fact, I hope I get pulled over some night just so I can say "Sorry officer but I don't drink. I'll be more than happy to take a breathalizer test!"

I'd also like to add that one of my dearest friends has also recently quit drinking and using drugs. I know this has to be a really hard time for her but she's also one of the strongest people I know. We're supporting each other with love and friendship. She's also joined AA/NA and I know that she's going to do just fine! I'm VERY proud of her! She's taken control of her life and is even planning to go back to school! It was funny, the 2 of us went to our usual bar the other day and the bartender almost fell over when he heard that BOTH of us quit drinking. It was nice to just hang out for a little bit in a familiar environment and NOT be working on getting drunk. I think it might be safe to say that we enjoy each other's company even more now!

Lastly, I'd like to thank a few people for inspiring this move. These people showed me, in one way or another, that I really WANT to be sober! So to the following, a great big THANK YOU!

Jenny A.
Genevieve S.
Marina D.
Mo-Z

Doing my 1st sober show on 2/6 @ Howlers....I'll let y'all know how it goes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Haunted Pittsburgh #2: A Ghost Close to Home

You could almost say I have a ghost in my own backyard! Well, not quite my back yard but at least close to home. You'd think that living close to a cemetary, I'd be telling of ghosts there but you'd be wrong! This is the story of Peter, a little boy ghost. I've heard this story for years! My family has lived in this area since the early 20th century. Up until recently, the oldest house in Allegheny county was our family homestead, but after the death of my great aunt Alberta, the house was sold. My grandmother and great aunts used to tell me stories of prohibition and all the crazy times. I wish my great aunt Ann was alive so I could get more information on this alleged 'bordello'. (she lived right up the street...but WAS NOT a working girl! LOL)Anyhoo, on with the story... BLAHA FLOWER SHOP (Etna, Allegheny County) Shop owner David Kornely relocated his flower and gift shop to Bridge Street in Etna in 1991. He had heard the building was haunted but had no secon...

My Publishing Journey So Far (Apparently Success Is Expensive)

 "Creativity is intelligence having fun." Allegedly, Einstein said that. Doesn't matter if he did or didn't, I like the quote. Before I self-published my first book, I looked into all sorts of different options. The literary agents I spoke with (who all sounded like they recently graduated from college - aka they sounded like children to these old ears) almost turned me off of writing forever. I spoke with folks from a few small publishing houses, and Geez Louise, if your first complaint is how little money you're making, maybe try a different career path. I would have thought that NO ONE was making any money - but I was soon to find out just who is. Barnes and Noble is one of the last remaining bookstore chains. Personally, I always preferred Borders, but they're long gone. Walden was another fave. Coles was pretty good. I can still spend a tidy sum at Half-Price Books (and MUSIC!) but I save that for special occasions. I am, admittedly, a library guy. As I o...

LITTLE GUY (Available NOW)

My latest collection LITTLE GUY is now available from Barnes & Noble. Another collection so soon? Prolific! I can understand how one might think that. The reality is much simpler. It just took me forever to compile the collections and publish them.  I've always been an indie kinda guy. We can probably blame my late friend & mentor Alan Leatherwood. Back in the 1980s, I'd never really given much thought to indie releases of any kind. Oh sure, I knew that bands put out cassettes and 7" singles from time to time, but I'd never considered it something in my skill set. I'd written for a handful of underground magazines, but even those relied on some level of ad revenue. Again, stuff I had little useful knowledge of.  In 2023, I started writing a history of American music. After a few months, I scrapped it (for mostly personal reasons) - but the writing continued. I've almost always been writing. Songs, poetry, prose, lists, lists, lists, reviews, hell, I ha...