Sunday, January 17, 2010

In/Out of My Head

Its a new year and life is good! That said, time for a few things that've been running in and out of my head...

I decided to quit smoking & drinking & to try to go semi-vegetarian. Not drinking has been a breeze. I don't eat much meat anyway so going semi-vegetarian has also been a breeze. But the quitting smoking has not been going well. I was born addicted to nicotine (aaaaah that lovely month-long stay in the incubator...just like a chicken) and if I'd known when I puffed that 1st ciggie all those years ago just how much of a slave I'd become, I never woulda done it! But we live and learn and I'm too damned stubborn to quit quitting.

Pets: ya gotta love them...even when they "F" you up! Case in point, my cat Day-Z likes to hang out on the edge of the tub when I take a bath. She will usually splash me with her tail and she acts like she has no fear of the water...until she comes into contact with it! Yesterday, I just barely saved "my junk" from a fierce shredding! Day-Z was stretching out on the edge of the tub while I was bathing when she lost her balance and went headlong into the tub! Needless to say, cats don't like water and removing herself from it was Priority #1. She flailed and scratched the hell outta me! My hand and foot were bleeding pretty good and the water had these unsightly streams of blood in it. Had to start over...but I was too busy laughing at the cat. If it hadn't been for my cat-like reaction time, she mighta shredded me in 'bad places'. No harm, no foul.

Aging and music: I like to think that I have pretty varied tastes in music but my girlfriend will probably argue that one with me. I'm 43, she's 28. We rarely, it seems, enjoy the same music. As she points out I like "good music" and usually get a good laugh at what she listens to. I think I'm slowly turning into my dad! I remember him saying that the punk rock I listened to back in the day "all sounded alike". I catch myself saying the same about the "metal" she listens to. I don't even consider most of it metal...its just...um...mum always said if you can't say anything nice, best to shut keep your trap shut and smile. So I'm smiling. That said, I have introduced her to some music she DOES enjoy. Old Queen, Tom Waits, The Blasters, etc... There's hope for her yet!

Big News: After a 2+ year blacklisting from my chosen profession (the MH/MR field) it looks like I'm back!!!! I'm supposed to start my new position on Tuesday morning. I was originally going to take my medication practicum today and start tomorrow but my program director called and asked if I could come in Tuesday instead (no sense in paying me holiday pay for my 1st day! HAHAHA). She asked if I could come in at 9:00am, take the test and then asked how late I could work...I told her all day if needed. Needless to say, she liked that answer! They can work me 75 hours a week if they want! I miss that life and now I'm back!!!!!!!!! Bring on the crazies! Bring on the med charts! ISPs! Behavior Programs! Paperwork! I AM SOOOOOOOOOOO READY!!!!!!!! At this point, everything else be damned, I AM BACK!!!!!!

At the risk of sounding self-important and preachy, if you want something bad enough and are willing to work hard for it, you CAN achieve it! Life will throw you curves. You just have to have enough backbone to stand up and do what you need to when that happens. No one is going to hand you anything in life nor should you want them to. I can only speak for myself here but I enjoy things more knowing that I've worked hard to get them. I'll also be damned if anyone will ever take what I've worked hard for!

So its 2010 and life is looking up! I hope it is for YOU out there too! BRING IT ON!!!!!!!!!

A GINORMOUS Thank You to my family & friends (old & new) who have stood by me. You have all eased my burden in ways you can't imagine. Again, Thank You!

.

No comments:

Post a Comment