Thursday, August 13, 2009

The Greatest is gone...






Les Paul died today at age 94.



For those of you who have lived under a rock in a cave your entire lives, Les Paul was possibly the greatest guitarist who ever lived. He was also responsible in part for almost every bit of music you've ever listened to. How you may ask? He pretty much invented multitrack recording. Without Les Paul and his whacky, wizardous, ideas, music would not be what it is today.

Last night, I dreamt that a friend and I were dueting on Les Paul/Mary Ford songs. All morning long, I was humming old Les Paul songs. Mind you, this itself isn't unheard of...but its not where my mind has been lately. At work, around 1:00pm EST, while humming one of the guitar parts to "Waiting For The Sunrise", I received a text message that Les Paul had died of complications from pneumonia. I was greatly saddened by this. Not so much because he passed away...the man had a long, rich, meaningful life. He'll be remembered for thousands of years. No, I was saddened because I only got to see him play live once, and was too damned young to fully appreciate his amazing talents.


Just a few months ago, my friend Sean offered to put me up in a hotel room in NYC and pay for my ticket to see Les Paul at the Iridium Club. God how I wanted to go! But finances and legal troubles prevented me from getting there. Hell, I was ready to hitchhike if necessary! but I had to make one of those grown up decisions. Sean had a great time and even got to meet Les for a bit. Sean informed me that although Les was slowed a bit by arthritis, his playing was still as amazing as ever.

While I was admittedly envious, I was glad that my good friend got to see Les Paul. When I look at these photos from the show, I can see a familiar look in Les Paul's eyes. Its the look every guitarist I know shares. A look of wonderment and awe at the magical instrument we hold and play. It was heartwarming to see Les, in his 90s. a man who was considered a god among men by his peers, sharing that same look that we pickers all do.
Muhammed Ali used to say that he was "The Greatest". That statement, coming from most men, would be pure boasting. But Les Paul never needed to...everyone already knew he was the best and Les just took it all in stride. I've read many times how he was still continually amazed at the many different styles of guitar playing there are and the many ways that musicians communicate with the guitar. In most cases, we wouldn't be communicating the way we do with them if it hadn't been for Les Paul. As if being the greatest guitarist and inventing multi-track recording wasn't enough, he essentially, if not invented, at least perfected the solid body electric guitar. His is the name on one of the most popular models ever.

If you've never listened to the man, do yourself the favor...listen. Whether he was playing hillbilly in the 20s, blues in the 30s, jazz in the 40s, pop in the 50s or country in the 70s (with the legendary Chet Atkins), his playing was just simply amazing. He would throw in licks that would just stop you in your tracks. In the old days, you'd lift the needle and play that spot again. Tapes made rewinding to those spots even easier and digital even easier still...but no one has yet to master Les Paul's style or sound. The closest was my late friend Danny Gatton. And he always wanted to impress Les with his ability to copy him...but Les was unimpressed. His reaction was, "so what? I did that 40 years ago!" and he'd give Danny a good natured laugh.

The greatest there ever was is gone...but he's not likely to ever be forgotten. Rest in peace Mr. Polfus. You inspired so many. And really, what more can a man hope to achieve?
-MM
photos courtesy of Sean Chambers

No comments:

Post a Comment