Sunday, January 18, 2015

Well, since ya asked...

I've lost over 40 pounds, and yes, I'm pretty proud of it.

None of my clothes fit. I have to force myself, at some point, to go clothes shopping. I hate clothes shopping.

But, everyone keeps asking how I've done it. It's pretty simple really. I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and took it seriously. I don't want to lose a foot or go blind or anything like that. It's a real motivator for me.

Fear is good for that. I've known a lot of folks with diabetes in my life. My great aunt had it...and lost a leg to it. Her mother had it, and went blind from it. A few different friends have lost legs from it. I don't want to join that particular club, thank you very much.

So the choices were pretty simple: Feel sorry for myself and risk all of the above, or do something about it. I chose the latter.

I had to completely change the way I think about food. An ex girlfriend often pointed out that I'm obsessed with food. You know...she's right. I am. Always have been. I used to hate food. My parents can be blamed for that. My father wouldn't know how to season food if you put a gun to his head. My mum...well, God rest her soul, just wasn't a great cook.

I learned how to cook from my grandmother, Aunt Ann, and my friends' moms. Once I realized that I do, indeed, enjoy food, there was no looking back. I dug in and dug in deep! Italian, Chinese, soul food, Cajun, southern cuisine...meat, carbs, SUGAR!!!!! I loved it all! I love booze. I love beer. I love good wine. I love it all. And it was killing me.

So, how did I actually lose the weight?

Again, simple answer. I started eating healthier and getting more exercise. I read labels. All of the labels. I learned what the numbers were and what they meant to my diagnosis. Carbs and sugars = BAD! Fresh fruit and veggies = GOOD!

Here's the weirdest part: I eat MORE now than I used to! One of my biggest problems, aside from what I ate, was WHEN I ate. I rarely have ever felt hungry. This goes hand in hand with my difficulties feeling pain. Something in that part of my brain ain't wired right...so I used to not even think about eating until I'd get a headache from it...and then I'd pig out. I never left the table until I felt I was ready to burst. Bad bad bad.

So now, I eat 3 meals a day. I snack on occasion. I eat healthy. No junk food, no soda, nothing too over the top. Oh sure, I treat myself once in a while...you have to. Well not really, you don't HAVE to...but it's nice to do so. The biggest thing though...MOVE YOUR ASS!

Turn off the TV. Get away from the computer. Go for a walk. Having a heart condition, I can't go hogwild working out like I used to...but I can still walk. Rain, shine, snow...doesn't matter...I get in at least a few miles a day. It might be a little tough at first, but you adjust to it. It becomes part of your routine...same as eating healthy.

You can make all the excuses in the world. I know I did. But...my diagnosis scared the hell outta me. I'm a fighter...always have been. I won't let this stop me and I'll be damned if I'll be defined by my diagnosis. But...all of that said...I'm losing the weight, I look better, and I feel good about the progress.

If you want to lose weight...just do it. No excuses. You are your own worst enemy when you do. It doesn't happen over night. It takes time and work. But...you can do it...and the more you do it, the easier it becomes.

Got it? Good. See ya later.

1 comment: