Saturday, December 7, 2013

Top 5 of 2013

If you know me, you know how much music means to me. Long ago, I gave up any chance of a normal life to immerse myself, thoroughly, in music. No regrets there!

I love that after all of these years, I can still hear something and get the same physical and emotional sensations that I got as a child listening to Beethoven, The Beatles, Hendrix, Sex Pistols, and more.

These are 5 of my faves from this past year (or so). It's been brought to my attention that I am sometimes slow at picking up on new artists. Well, I can't listen to everything all the time! I create a lot of music myself, and that seriously takes up most of my time. The creative process is very much like a form of mania. It overwhelms the creator...but in the best way possible! But I'm digressing...

The following videos are from acts that I've either just discovered in the past year, or have been aware of and they're now back! With the exception of Valerie June, I've come to know all of these acts personally and as people, they are just as awesome as their music. Valerie June...we WILL be hanging out one of these days! And when we do, I will talk you out of ever letting another producer mess up your music! (Take note Danny! You messed her shit up!) As for Sister Cookie, I am so damned glad she's back making music again! I first heard her in 2008 and fell in love with her sound! She's a sweet gal too...and I hope that my online proddings had something to do with bringing her back. Stevie Tombstone is such an amazing writer...he's one of those cats I envy at times. Damned nice guy too! Clint Bradley and the Blue Cats do their own damned thing...and I love it! In our many correspondences, Clint and I are both of the mind that rockabilly is a great musical genre but it needs to be allowed to grow...not be relegated to museum piece status. Scenesters are bad thing.

And Rev. Beatman....definitely his own thang! Not much more can be said...other than as unique as his music is, he is every bit the uniquely sweet guy!

Hope you enjoy these cats! They're ALL great!!!!!!! They're in no particular order...so just dig em!

M



No comments:

Post a Comment