Friday, December 24, 2010

An Open Letter to Tom Jones

While out doing some last minute Christmas shopping, I came across Tom Jones' CD "Praise & Blame" at Best Buy for $7. I'd downloaded a couple of tracks from it earlier this year and really enjoyed them, so I figured what the heck, I'd get myself a lil Christmas pressie.
WOW! That's the best I can give for starters. I've long viewed Mr. Jones as a bit of a joke, albeit a very successful one. I've found most of his music to be tepid, calculated and droll...appealing only to the old women who throw their granny panties at him, and to those who claim to like his music purely for kitsch value.
Jones, however, has long had a rebellious streak. His 1st singles were considered 'raunchy' but he soon learned to conform. When his career began to lag, he turned to country music. This never quite clicked for him but in 1987, he recorded the Prince song "Kiss" backed by The Art of Noise. Considered at the time a fluke, this was pretty damned successful. It also kept him in the public eye and kept up the demand for his live shows.

My bass player has long been acquiring bizarre Tom Jones records. Most just leave me raising my eyebrow and grumbling. But this new disc is really something else!

This disc has a very rootsy, southern USA feel to it. With lots of gospel influence, Jones & producer Ethan Johns tackle everything fro Sister Rosetta Tharpe to Dylan. And they do it with aplomb and without sounding hokey. From the open strains of "What Good Am I?" to the closing sounds of "Run On", this disc just knocks it out of the park

Mr. Jones, why has it taken you so damned long to finally make this record? You could have been doing this all along. Sure, you may not have had the monetary successes you earned in the past but you would have earned much more respect in the music loving community. This disc shows that you truly are as good as you can be! A voice that powerful was made for this type of music! Your version of "Ain't No Grave" is enough to floor almost anyone. Its just that good!

Please Mr. Jones, in future...make more music like this! While Ethan Johns did a good job producing and mixing the tracks, may I suggest enlisting someone like T-Bone Burnette or Gorf Morlix. Either one will take your music to an even higher level. I'd almost be afraid to hear just how good it could be.

This CD has inspired me. It has given me ideas for future projects. It's an enjoyable listen and most importantly, I enjoy more each time I listen to it. I think that's the best compliment I can give as not only a lover of music but also as a musician, songwriter and producer. Mr. Jones, ya done good!!!!!! Keep it up! And please...no more "What's New Pussycat".......

No comments:

Post a Comment