Friday, February 17, 2023

Why I Still Don't Give Lessons

 I had this conversation (again) the other day, this time with a friend who does give guitar lessons.

I, as a general rule, refuse to. Most people who say they want to play guitar really only like the idea of playing guitar. They want to magically be able to play anything, as if there's a trick to it. Well, there is. It's called working at it.

On the occasions when people ask for lessons, the first thing I tell them is that I will NEVER teach them a song. Never. Under no circumstance. What I would do, if I can be convinced to give lessons, is teach them the skills to figure out how to do it on their own. Trust me, it's ultimately far more rewarding this way. 

I could, if I chose, in one hour teach someone 3 basic chords. With those chords they can play a million songs. But that's not what they think they want. "Teach me how to play my favorite song!" No. I'll teach you how to figure it out yourself. Nowadays, if you want to learn to play that killer riff, I'm sure there's a YouTube video. You might learn how to play it, note for note. But have you really learned anything? Probably not.

Scales? Modes? Sure, I'll go over them and how to apply the knowledge, but I won't sit down and teach them or expect you to practice them. Trust me, no one wants to hear anyone try to play a solo using scales and modes. I would, however, try to teach you what to listen for in them. 

Chords? Yes, I'd teach you as many as you could handle. Understand chords and chord progressions and the rest is easy. Once you learn to recognize patterns, you can probably figure out any song you want to play. If there's a 'trick' to it, that's probably it. 

In my 40+ years of playing professionally, I've only ever once sat down and worked out someone else's solo. And that's because nothing else fit! (Hats off to Don Leady) I think I've done OK with it what I do. At least the hundreds of thousands of people I've performed for have seemed to think so. 

The rhythm section I usually work with, I've worked with off/on for 30 years. I don't think we've even tried to rehearse anything in over 20. We understand how the music is structured. As long as we're in the same key, and more importantly IN TUNE, we can make it happen. Sure, there's a lot of improvisation involved. I might even be able to teach that to someone...but only after they've learned the basics.

Flatpicking, fingerpicking, string and gear recommendations, yep. I can (and often do) freely give my thoughts on those. I occasionally will make a video lesson for someone on a specific subject. I do this gratis because I love to share the knowledge that was shared with me. It's how any art and/or craft survives, continues, and grows. 

Sure, I could give lessons, but generally won't. It's just far too aggravating for me. I had a student once question whether or not I actually knew what I was talking about, because he believed there had to be an easier way. Last I heard, he sold his (very crappy) guitar, probably at a loss. He gave up. That was actually heartbreaking for me. He could have been a decent player, but he chose to give in to his ego. 

So yeah - nah, I don't give lessons. If I offer them, understand that this means I think a person is worthy of my aggravation. It is probably the greatest kindness I can offer them. 

Remember this, what is a potential hobby for you, has been my life. It's what I do. It's what I've done for 45 years. I've made every mistake you can think of. I've figured out what usually works and what often doesn't. I'm sure you can find someone who will teach you how to play your favorite song. It just won't be me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment