Tuesday, March 8, 2022

An Updated Memory

 I first wrote about this on Facebook on March 8, 2020...just about the time the plague hit. 

I've heard it said that as we get older, the world gets smaller. This is one of those tales. 

As a musician, its usually tougher to get local radio play than in other markets. Why? Because they know  ya...they see ya at the grocery store in sweatpants and flipflops. No matter how good ya are, you ain't special. You're just another 'local' musician. (I could reference League Of Gentlemen here..."It's a local shop....for locals!"...and I guess I just did) I'm always grateful when I do get airplay, especially locally. I don't tour anymore, so local is where I perform on the rare occasion that I do. The airplay helps put butts in seats. (No matter how much you think your reputation may precede you, if the masses don't know that you're performing at their favorite venue, they ain't gonna be there)  Here's where it gets fun! My song "Whiskey Wine & Beer" (from my 7 MORE TO GO album) was played right after some Robert Jr. Lockwood! 

Man! That took me back! When I was living in NE Ohio back in the 80s, I started listening to (and often taping) a blues show on WAPS out of Akron. Like our local radio station WYEP, it was at 91.3 on your FM dial! On WAPS I first heard Robert Jr. and made sure I got out to see him when I could, as he was living in Cleveland at the time...a mere 75 miles away. For a blues-loving musician (although I was mostly playing bass at the time) this was some serious schooling! But the smallification of the world doesn't end there. No sirree. 

The cat that usually played drums for Robt Jr. was Bob Ebersol (aka Max Bangwell to you west coast types). Bob and I were the rhythm section on a lot of songs by Alan Leatherwood. Even funnier, Bob and I were never in the studio at the same time. Before he passed a few years back, Bob and I joked that one day we would record together, at the same time! Sadly it never got to happen. So, having one of my songs follow Robt Jr. (possibly with Bob on drums, who knows)...yeah man, this big ol' blue ball is getting smaller every day. I just keep trying to move along with it. 


* since I first wrote this, a year or more ago, my own world has become smaller still, and sadly, quieter. We've lost more of my old musician pals. Leatherwood has endured some health issues that have greatly reduced his volume. My own health issues have sidelined me from performing. I still make noise around the house, much to the chagrin of our kitties. (they have, oddly enough, taken a liking to the sound of a 12 string guitar) If you enjoy live music, do yourself, the venue, and the artists a favor: Find yourself a way to stay informed on who's playing where and when. It's not that difficult and you just might have a bit of fun in the process. 

No comments:

Post a Comment