Friday, November 7, 2014

Tiring of social media...

As a rule, I've always enjoyed social networking...but lately, I'm growing tired of it. Maybe I'm growing into a different, less-tolerant person...or...perhaps I'm just tired of the 'same old same old'.

I've always enjoyed social networks for the social aspect. I enjoy hearing from friends, especially those that I otherwise would have a more difficult time keeping up with: friends in other parts of the country, overseas, etc. I enjoy being in the loop of their daily lives. I love to hear about their lives, see photos of their day-to-day existence, etc. Like the old ad said, "The next best thing to being there!"

But anymore...and I don't know if it's the social networks, society in general, or a combination of the two...I just don't like it as much. MySpace came and went. Facebook, for at least the past 5 years, was good. It's getting as bad as MySpace now...and I have theories about that. I'll be in the cold, cold ground before I ever Tweet. Google +....I guess it's still there...but does anyone really use it? And there's that new one...that everyone planned to jump ship and join...until they found out it was going to become, in certain aspects, a pay site.

Maybe it's just me...but I don't like businesses on my social network. That always seems to be the start of the downfall. I do not care to be "friends" with an insurance company or real estate broker. Call me crazy. Radio stations have decided that if they post silly photos/videos, their page will get more "likes". They must believe that this means these "likes" are translating into ad dollars. If so...I don't see how. Unless, maybe people really are stupid. As a rule, I try not to "like" or "comment" on anything originally posted by a business, radio station, etc.

When I click on Facebook, my social network of choice, I want to see certain things. I usually go on to see what a handful of close friends are up to. Maybe chat with one or two of them for a bit. I like to see what my sister, nieces, and nephews are up to...even if some of them are Browns fans. On a good day, I'll see a funny, inspiring, or surprising post from one of my many friends.

What I usually see is this:

The Political Poster: OK, I'm guilty too...but I've been trying really hard not to...basically because after 30+ years of being politically active, I just no longer care. The political poster sees FB as their own personal soapbox, and they always have an axe to grind. The negativity levels seem to rise every day. It's all so damned partisan. While I find the posts from my overseas friends interesting, especially when it's about the US, I don't find the "this party is better than that party" stuff very interesting. Here in good ol' Murica...every single politician is crooked as a dog's hind leg. I suppose they always have been...but damn, they barely even try to hide it anymore. While I would be interested in hearing plans for a real revolution, I really don't care about the state of the nation. The United States of America do not currently exist. We live in the Corporate States of America...Red/Blue States...a living hell. Simply put...I don't care like I should. I'm just numb to it all anymore.

The Reposter: We all have that friend (or friends) who feel the need to "share" or "repost" every single thing they see. Remember back in the old days of email when you had that person who would forward every single slightly humorous email or political email? Yep. That person is on Facebook now. And they found me. And they continually clog my newsfeed to the point where I hide them from my newsfeed. I sometimes feel bad about this...these people are usually my friend out in the real world...but online, I want to strangle them.

The Liker: I'm sure we all have that friend that "likes" everything we post. Whether it be a photo of the cat licking itself, to a music video, to a bizarre Dr. Who meme...they click LIKE the second it's posted. This tells me that didn't really bother to look at the post. They're just being....nice? Accommodating? Enabling? Something. I don't know what...but they're really good at it!

The Forever 14 Cheerleader: Most of my friends are in their 30s-60s. We have been out of school for a long time. So, why the hell am I seeing so much crap about my former high school's sporting events? I can understand if a friend's kid is involved....but this isn't the case most of the time. Personally, I didn't give a shit about this stuff when I was in high school, and I care even less (if that's possible) now. Why am I seeing this stuff? I keep trying to hide this stuff from my newsfeed...but it keeps finding it's way back.

The Quizzer: Welcome back to MySpace. One of the things I thought I had said 'good riddance' to when I left MySpace for the more bland pastures of Facebook was the online quiz. Lately, they've infested my newsfeed with a vengeance. Forgetting for a moment the real purpose of these, they're just stupid. No...you weren't royalty in a previous life. If you did have a previous life, you were probably a scullery maid. Deal with it. No, you don't think like Einstein or Tesla. If you did, you wouldn't be on Facebook in the first place. The "What Country/City/Planet Should I Live In/On?" ones REALLY piss me off because the questions are obviously directed to pre-teen girls. Trust me...Monaco is the LAST place I should live. (yes...I took that one once) I know where I should live. It's not Monaco. Trust me on this. I would, most likely, start an international incident of Biblical proportions.

The Snarkotic: Snarky - snark·yˈsnärkē/ adjective
NORTH AMERICAN informal
(of a person, words, or a mood) sharply critical; cutting; snide.
"the kid who makes snarky remarks in class"
cranky; irritable.
"Bobby's always a bit snarky before his nap"

We all have the friend who only posts or comments in the snarkacular. They couldn't say a positive thing if their own existence depended on it. Sure, we're all a bit snarky from time to time...but every single thing posted doesn't have to be. Most of the time, it's not even humorous...but look out! The Liker is on the loose, liking everything...therefore validating and enabling The Snarkotic!

The Special Interest Poster: Yes, I'm well aware than many of my friends have their special interests...whether it be abused cockroaches, militantly deranged eskimos, or the lifestyles of the rich and funky...but for the love of God, please post something NOT related to your special interest...at least once in a while! Your constant online whingery has made my once honest empathy and compassion turn to an unabating urge to beat you with a fish. Great, you've decided to live your life eating only green foods, like M&Ms or Skittles. Wonderful! If this works for you...great. Please don't attempt to insist that everyone should...no matter how many blogs you've read on the subject. Most of us really just don't care.

The Chosen One: As a Christian, I know a lot of other Christians. Many of them don't seem to 'get it'. When every single post is about God, scripture, your own take on a Biblical passage, how great life is now that you're a Christian, etc...guess what...I'll call bullshit. God isn't a lottery ticket. He doesn't work "magic" for you. That's not how it works. While I am personally beyond thrilled that you've accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord and saviour, I really don't need your daily reminder of it. P.S. God doesn't actually have a Facebook page. I know...you find that difficult to believe...but really, He doesn't. If He did, that would finally solve the Mac vs. Windows debate...and we all know that the corporations are not likely to allow that to happen any time soon.

The Moaner: I'm sure I'm not the only one with these friends...the ones who moan about everything! Yes, the weather is being less than perfect just to ruin your plans. Deal with it. Maybe if you didn't moan so damned much, you might realize that your life ain't so bad.

The Opinionater: This person argues everything...regardless of their actual knowledge or access to any known fact to back them. Hey, I like to argue...but anyone who knows me well has learned, if I say "Bet me!", get your wallet out. I only argue when I have facts. Or if I just want to get a rise out of you.

Ya know...I miss the good old days when Facebook was mostly just a few friends sharing pictures of their cats and food. Funnier still...most of the folks who read this will do so from a link from my Facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment