Saturday, May 24, 2014

It's RANTING TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's RANT TIME!!!!!!!!!

I haven't let loose on y'all in a while...you're due.

Last night, Pittsburgh proved itself, once again, to be a complete fucking waste of time. Sure, we have the Steelers. We have the Penguins. We still have the Pirates (although, just why anyone cares, is beyond me). What we DON'T have is music lovers.

Yeah...YOU HEARD ME! Do NOT tell me "Oh, I love music!". No. You don't. If you did, you would go out and support it once in a while.  Oh yeah, some of you go to see your friends' band(s) at the same venues every chance you get. That doesn't mean you love music. It means you love your friends...and that's fucking great! Really, it is! But it does NOT mean you love music.

It means you like "safe". You go to the same shows and listen to the same tunes (most of which are heavily borrowed from the same bands you've listened to for 20+ years or more). If it hasn't been shoved down your throat, it scares the shit out of you. In short, you're a bunch of pussies when it comes to music.

Yeah...you heard me right. You're a bunch of fucking pussies.

I'm 48 years old, and I still love music. I'm as broke as a motherfucker can get without being homeless...but I still make it out to see new bands when I have an extra $10. I'm not going out to drink, or try to get laid, or pose for a bunch of people...when I go to hear music, I'm there for the music. Period. And here's a surprise for ya...I usually insist on paying the cover charge. Sure, there are circumstances when I don't. That usually involves long-term friendships. I won't charge those truly close to me (even though they usually insist) and there have been many times when I've tried to pay a cover, only to have the money handed back to me. Trust me, I'm all about paying for music. I know the other side too well.

OK, sure...the economy is still in the shitter. Well now, that's NOT news. It has been since 9/11. We've made it this far. A lot of you are still managing to go out drinking every week. Obviously, you're not THAT broke!

But God forbid, any of you step outside your comfort zone. Buncha pussies.

I REALLY wanted to go see Husky Burnette at Howler's last night. I REALLY REALLY wanted to. But I had a choice, pay the water and electric bills AND eat, or go to the show. I've become quite fond of water, electricity, AND food...so maybe I'm just getting soft in my old age. If I'd had an extra $10...literally, I would've been there.

I got hipped to Husky Burnette's music last fall when I was on tour with Danny Kay. We played a joint called The Shore Road Tavern in Philly, and I saw a poster for HB's show. Being unfamiliar, I asked about him...because I LOVE music.

I was told great tales about the man and his music. A number of people played me his songs. Great stuff! Our paths haven't crossed yet...but one of these days, they will...and there will be a thunderous noise when that day comes...because I GET what he's doing.

Pittsburgh tries to pride itself on it's "nightlife" (I almost typed that with a straight face) and it's love of the blues. Both are a crock of shit. If it doesn't sound like a watered-down Stevie Ray cover, you're not interested. Most of YINZ wouldn't know REAL blues if I shoved it sideways up your ass.

(Am I sounding sufficiently peeved?)

Sadly, but not overly surprisingly, Husky Burnette's show wasn't as well-attended as he deserves. If you've read this far...you know why. I don't care to hear your excuses. Unless you're as broke as I am (and if you are, God bless you!), then you have no excuse. You SHOULD have been there.

It's a long, holiday weekend. Most of you probably skipped out of work Friday anyway (because a 3 day weekend is never as good as a 4 day weekend...I get it!).

Being a REAL musician, and a true pro, I understand HB put on an amazing show! It was so good, that Jo (from Howlers) promo'ed his Philly show on her Facebook page today. She just hasn't been able to say enough about how amazing his show was. From what I hear, it was everything I had hoped to witness.

Oh...you didn't know about the show? Do you live under a fucking rock? Are you dim? Do you not know what the internet or City Paper is? Or are you just so self-absorbed in your own little Pittsburgh world that you can't be bothered with something "new"? Oh no! It doesn't sound like EVERYTHING you've ever listened to.

Well flip on DVE, enjoy that Coors Light or Miller Light, or PBR, or whatever swill you usually drink, and just ignore the rest of the world. It's what you do. But guess what...fewer and fewer bands are coming to the Burgh....and YOU are the reason why.

Here's a Husky Burnette set, filmed at The Garage, in Winston-Salem (a truly COOL club!). Give it a listen. Maybe you'll realize that there's more to music than the 'same old same old'.



I hope you do.  And I hope Husky Burnette comes back to town...and I hope I can afford to go to the show!

1 comment:

  1. Good point about people supporting their friends vs supporting live music.

    Trash blues, punk blues, whatever - there’s some great under-the-radar performers on the road right now. Wish they made it to Maine but but venues are as cautious as individuals about exploring new music. Enjoy it when you can!

    ReplyDelete