Skip to main content

What's in a name?

I just watched a video of George Michael singing with Queen. I remember that show...it was a celebration of the life and memory of Freddie Mercury. Say what you will...George Michael did one helluva job.

There was much speculation at the time as to whether or not he would replace Freddie in the band. Well, no...he didn't. Queen have reunited a few times with different singers...but to me, it ain't Queen. If their bassist, John Deacon, was playing with them...I might say it is...but he retired. He knew that without Freddie Mercury, it just ain't Queen.

OK, sure...Brian May and Roger Taylor want to keep on playing. They're musicians. Its what they do. But really guys...don't call it "Queen". At this point, it's just 2 guys who used to be in Queen, a fill-in bassist, and some other guy singing.

Some bands do this. I've never understood why. Now before I hear about this from anyone...yes, The Blasters, my favorite band on the planet, have done many tours and a few recordings that aren't what most consider "the original line up". Well, The Blasters existed before Dave joined the band, and have continued on without him. Once in a while, they play with Dave. Most often, they don't. I saw them at one point with only two of "the original line up"...and they kicked ass. Basically, as long as Phil and John are in the band, it's The Blasters.

I did a show tonight with one of the bands I'm in, The Bessemers. The singer, James, and I have been playing together off/on for nearly a quarter century. We used to be in a pretty popular band called The Rowdy Bovines...way back in the day. When I left the band, James could have easily kept the band going. He was using that name before I joined. The difference...he and I became The Rowdy Bovines. It wasn't so much our talent as our chemistry that made that band. We used a ton of different rhythm sections. It was like a revolving door. I've often joked that any decent bassist or drummer in this city played with us at least once!

(Photo by www.miaphotos,net)
Someone was asking tonight about how long James and I have worked together. So, of course, the story went on. We played from 1990-94 together. When I left, I just needed to do something else. Four years of 3-5 gigs a week is a long time. And trust me...that sort of close company can often become irritating. James & I were well-known for our fights. We're like brothers. We love each other and can also hate each other. But really...few people work together like we do. The chemistry is still there. We push each other. We harmonize well together...almost like brothers. We're often on the same wavelength musically.

Over the years, I've sat in with James' bands at different times, and he's sat in with mine. Every time, the old magic is there. Why? Who the fucks knows. It just is. Like I said...it's chemistry. But seriously...neither of us ever considered using the name "The Rowdy Bovines" if he and I weren't in the band. We know it would be a lie to the public.

Sure, we've done a few reunions here and there...and might again one of these days. But if James isn't singing, and I'm not playing guitar...it ain't The Rowdy Bovines. It could be a much better band, but The Bovines it ain't.

So what's in a name? Recognition, for starters. We each have a name we're known by. It's one of the ways we're recognized. It could be our given name, our family name, or a nick name. It could be a stage name, even! I got stuck with the nickname "Memphis" 20 years ago...and I've just gotten used to it. It's now how many people recognize me. It's easier to pronounce, for many, than my family name.

What's the old saying? "A rose, by any other name, would smell just as sweet." See...it's about recognition.

OK...it's late. I'm rambling and need to get to sleep. Just thought I'd share this....no real reason why.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uninvited

If you know me, you know I'm a musician. Damned near 50 years treading the boards making noise.  Just like any other commercial venture, there are certain sales and marketing strategies involved with being a musician. One of the most basic and necessary being the demo tape. Back in my youth, the demo tape was usually a cassette; often recorded live. It gave the prospective purchaser (usually some guy at a bar who really didn't give a shit) an idea of how an act sounded, and what they could expect should they choose to hire ya.  Over the years, the demo tape itself became more polished. Some used it as a tool to garner interest from managers, publicists, producers and record execs. The issue I always had with these was that they were inherently dishonest. Rather than displaying how an artist actually sounded, it instead put forth an idea of what they could sound like - given perfect circumstances. Such conditions rarely exist.  By the late 80s, some of us used a VHS tape o...

My Books

 I won't lie. I sorta kinda need this post for my LinkTree thing. 😂 But since you're here, I'll guess you have some curiosity about my books. Here ya go! Just click on the cover and it should take you to the Barnes & Noble site (if you're so inclined). Thanks! - MM This is pretty much where it started. A collection of short stories. I've been pleasantly surprised at how well-received it's been. There are moments when something changes. Not dramatically. Not all at once. Just enough to notice. A conversation that feels slightly off. A familiar place that no longer feels quite the same. A small event that lingers longer than it should. In BODIES, Michael C. Metzger explores those quiet turning points where ordinary lives brush against the strange, the unsettling, and the unexpected. These eighteen stories are rooted in familiar ground: small towns, aging neighborhoods, workplaces, relationships, late-night conversations, and everyday routines. Beneath the sur...

Clearing up the Great Gretsch/Rockabilly Sham!

I've had a long-standing friendly argument with a couple of friends about guitars. This has gone on for 20+ years. We're all pickers, and we're all usually lumped under the rockabilly category too. They both love Gretsch guitars. I can take them or leave them. Rockabilly fans have asked me many times why I don't play a Gretsch, which is often associated with rockabilly music.   First, I point out that what I play ain't exactly rockabilly. Sure, there's a definite rockabilly influence...but there's also blues, jazz, surf, garage, punk, country, Tex-Mex, and even some Gypsy & African influences in my music. A Gretsch just ain't gonna cut it. Don't get me wrong, Gretsches have their place and their own, unique sound. But...for a picker who is coming from the afore-mentioned influences, a Gretsch just ain't gonna cut it.   The new Gretsches, mostly reissues, are well-made guitars. MUCH better made than the original ones, which tended to ...