Saturday, March 1, 2014

When Cleveland Rocks...

WOW! What a great night! As my contemporaries will understand, life takes us all down our own paths. Back in the 80s, while going to Kent State, I was befriended by a fellow musician from Cleveland named David Loy. I wound up joining his band, The Ramrods, on bass. Through my friendship with Dave, I met Jeff Pollock, who I dubbed "The Elvis From Hell". Jeff soon introduced me to the one and only Alan Leatherwood*. Back in the day, Al was this mysterious rockabilly legend. No, he wasn't one of the SUN guys...but he'd been playing rockabilly (and folk and country) since the late 50s. He'd had national releases, had written for some well-known singers, and had his own label. Jeff essentially introduced Al to many of the musicians who have played on his records since the 80s, self included. Last night at the Beachland Tavern, Al celebrated his 50th anniversary...albeit off by a few years. LOL Al does everything his own way...and that's one of the reasons he's special.

Over the years, we've all gone our own ways. David and I still record with Al when we can...it's admittedly been a while since I've made up to Cleveland for a session with him...but that will probably change soon. Jeff moved to Florida some years back.  I've been doing my own thing in the music biz...including producing Jeff's debut CD with AJ & The Two Timers. But last night was looking to be something special...

The Beachland was celebrating it's own anniversary, 14 years in the biz. If you've never been there, make the trip. It's divided between the Tavern & The Ballroom...different sized rooms for different types of gigs. I've played the Ballroom a number of times. Always a good joint to play! I've seen a number of great shows there too...The Blasters, Link Wray, etc.

The folks at the Beachland asked Al to help them celebrate...hey, 2 simultaneous anniversaries is always special! They also wanted Al because his new CD "Tex Mex Breakaway" has been garnering rave reviews. They put 3 legendary local rockabilly acts on one bill: The Rocket 88s (who have been playing around Cleveland seemingly forever), Al, and David Loy & The Ramrods (yep...that band I played bass in back in the 80s!). If that wasn't enough, they had The Sonics and The Cynics next door in the Ballroom! How much rock and roll can one joint handle???? THAT MUCH! My original plan had been to bounce back and forth and try to catch ALL of the acts...but dammit, I was just having too much fun in the Tavern!

Personally, I would have found it daunting going head to head with the likes of The Sonics...but not these crazy Clevelanders! They know what they have...and they'll go head to head with anyone.
I had told both Al & Dave that I was going to show up...but there was a surprise in store. Jeff caught a last minute flight up from Florida to be there. As he had been instrumental in introducing all of us in the first place, it just wouldn't have been the same without him. And...neither Al nor Dave had any clue that he was coming!

The young'un and I got into Cleveland around 4 o'clock or so and met up with Jeff at his hotel. We had a round of drinks, got caught up, and then hit the road to the Beachland. Doors were at 7, and the show was starting at 8, so we figured we'd get there in time to surprise everyone. And surprise we did! But there was a second surprise. A packed house! By 7:15 people were filling up the place. By show time, it was standing room only!

As we parked, we saw David Loy coming out of the club. I hopped out of the car and yelled over to him. We hadn't seen each other in years, so it was a nice surprise. I then suggested he look to see who was getting out of the back of the car. When he saw Jeff, he flipped! It was one of those great surprise reunions when old, close friends, get to actually SEE each other again. We all agreed that Al was going to be super surprised...and he was.

Al hadn't arrived yet, so we all went into the bar while the bands were doing soundcheck. While there, I ran into my buddy Mike Kastelic from The Cynics. I told him I would try to stop by to check out some of his set...but I was there for my old friends...the Ohio Moon Records' very own Wrecking Crew, if you will. (we've created some great music over the years...feel free to check it out sometime...you'll be glad you did!)

When Al and his wife Clara showed up, I ran over to say howdy and he was a bit surprised that we'd driven 2+ hours just to see him do a show. I then told him we had a surprise for him. He looked a tad confused and I simply said, "Look over there" and pointed to Jeff. It's probably been close to 20 years since they'd seen each other. Al looked and sounded really excited to Jeff...and I can say, in all honesty, the feeling was mutual. It was like old home week for sure. The hairlines & waistlines have changed, but old friends tend to pick right up where they left off. Always amazes me.

I won't bother with reviewing each act's set; all three did a killer job! The Rocket 88s started the night, then backed up Al on his set, with David Loy on 2nd guitar. Towards the end of Al's set, he asked me to come up and sit in. Nothing like being totally unprepared! One of the songs we did was Al's 1st record, "Hickory Dickory Dock" which was released around 1962 (under the name 'Lane Cassaro') on Mahalo Records out of Hawaii. We recorded a remake a while back. At the time, Al sang to me the line he wanted for the solo...and I was, somehow, able to recreate it on guitar. Last night...well...my memory wasn't perfect. Al reminded me, in front of the audience, that I played lead guitar on the recording. Good laughs though. Of course, right as the song ended, I remembered the damned solo! We did another song or two together, and I got my big ol' backside off the stage to let them finish in style. Next up was David's band, and he's every bit the showman he always was. Again, he invited me up for a song or two...always a good time. A couple of old hams tearing it up onstage. Damn that was fun!

I got to hear some great rock and roll last night. I also got to see some old and dear friends. I got to introduce them to the young'un (the consensus being "Don't lose that girl! She's so good for (me)!"). I got to see some familiar faces, make some new friends...and even saw some of the Pittsburgh crew! I know a lot of the yinzers went up to see The Sonics, but a number of them split their time between both sides of the Beachland. I happily introduced a few of them to Alan Leatherwood...the man, the mystery...his own bad self. It was one of those memorable nights that reminds me of who I am and just what I do. I'm proud to be a musician, but even more proud to call these guys my friends.

Here are some videos associated with this blog...check them out, but only if you like REAL Rock & Roll!

Lane Cassaro
"Hickory Dickory Dock"


Alan Cassaro
"Pretty Girl You're Lying"


Al Cassero
"Make Believe"


A.J. & The Two Timers
"Rockabilly On The Radio"



* Al has recorded under the names: Lane Cassaro, Alan Cassero, Al Cassaro, and Alan Leatherwood

No comments:

Post a Comment