Friday, February 22, 2013

Just in case you were wondering...

If you're friends with me on Facebook (my chosen alternative to reality! LOL), then you've seen my posts the past few days about Ashley. She's my buddy Dolo's niece and a sweet kid...who happens to have a particularly nasty form of cancer.

Yes, it's a sad fact that many kids out there have cancer. So just why, you may be wondering, am I so enamored with posting about Ashley and trying to help? It's simple...

Some of you may know this, some may not: I'm a two time cancer survivor. Basal cell carcinoma and prostate cancer. The basal cell was, at least to me, pretty much a non-issue. A few out patient surgeries and a few series of pills that made me want to puke. 60 days later I was cancer free.  A couple of years ago, I went to my doc for a check up and as I'm "comfortably in my 40s", he suggested a prostate exam. As my doc is a big fat man, I did NOT relish the thought of his sausage finger going into my nether regions...but I was glad to find out that the initial test would be a blood test.

My PSA (prostate specific antigen) levels were a LOT higher than they should've been. This meant....the finger. I dropped trou, heard the snap of the glove and WHOOSH!!!!! A truly uncomfortable feeling...let me tell ya. Then the bad news. A very definite mass. Hell of a way to start/end the day (I was working nights at the time and my appointment was at 8am). 

Of course, I had lots of questions. "What do we do now?" "Will I have to wear diapers?" "Can I still have sex?" "Is this going to kill me?" Luckily, the doc told me the standard procedure was what's called 'watchful waiting'. This meant lots of blood work and lots more 'finger in the nether regions'.

I went home and told my girlfriend, who was still in her 20s at the time. I told her that I would understand and respect her if she didn't want to be tied down to an older guy with cancer. This may be the one and only time she's ever become cross with me. She told me, in  no uncertain terms, that she wasn't going ANYWHERE...cancer or no cancer. (I'm the luckiest SOB on the planet!)

I never changed my diet or daily routine. I figured "I have it" and trying to change things now would be akin to guzzling ketchup AFTER eating the hamburger. Sure, I could...but why?

I named my tumor Bert. I figured that nothing named Bert could ever harm me. I was right. Within 6 months, Bert just flat out disappeared. My PSAs went back to normal and all has been well and good. A miracle, some would say. Just my usual goofy luck, I would say.

So yes...I'm a survivor. Survivors have a knack for recognizing each other. We've been there. We've gone through it. And we can recognize our own. I see this in Ashley. Something tells me...maybe it's God (I have faith...it's OK if you do or do not..but I DO!)...telling me that Ashley is meant to be a survivor.

I wish I could do so much more for her than I can. I've had others show me great acts of kindness on my behalf...so the very least I can do is do the same for Ashley.

So please bear with me when I ask you, my friends, for help. I'm not asking for your money. I know that most of you don't have it. But...right now, she could use your blood...IF you happen to be male and have A+ blood. If you do...or happen to know someone who does, and happen to be within reasonable distance of the Bay Area, allow me to ask you now: PLEASE DONATE!!!!!!!!! You can go to the SF Blood Bank or to Children's Hospital in Oakland and let them know the blood is for Ashley Bilbao. Such a small sacrifice on your part will do wonders for her! She has been fighting some nasty infections and the white blood cells from male A+ blood is helping her beat them! Her dad and uncle have been donating so much of it that they're both literally tapped out for now. The docs say they can't donate for a week. But Ashley still needs those white blood cells...so PLEASE! Help her out!

Put your pocketbook away. Like I said, money won't do a damned thing here. Email your friends and family...pick up the phone...post a plea on Facebook or MySpace or Twitter or wherever. Talk to your friends. A+ blood isn't particularly rare. We should be able to get a few good donors for Ashley.

This can help save this little girl's life. And...not only will she and her family be grateful...I will. I plan to play guitar at Ashley's wedding when she grows up. I'll play at yours too!

Thanks y'all!

M

No comments:

Post a Comment