Saturday, January 26, 2013

My Own Top 40 (Influential Music...at least to me)

Someone has created an "app" on Facebook regarding their idea of the 100 Most Influential Records of All Time. I disagreed with most of it. That said, what influences who is a matter of personal taste. I didn't find the list to be overly influential by genre either...but that again is a matter of personal point of view. As a musician/songwriter/producer, I see things one way...not necessarily the only way.

After a few messages back and forth with the person behind the app, I decided to come up with my own list. I'm admittedly too lazy to come up with my Top 100 of anything...let alone go through my entire music collection...so here's my own unfluential Top 40...right off of my head. You may agree, disagree, or just scratch your head in wonder. It's my list and it's in no particular order. I've written notes about some of it. See what you think:


1)The Blasters - “Over There: Live At The Venue, London”
This record knocked me on my ass the 1st time I heard it. I remember I was helping out at a neighbor's wedding reception and the DJ played this while we were getting things set up. Anyone who knows me knows what I think of The Blasters...and this is what started it all.

2)The Beatles - “Introducing The Beatles”
3)Jimi Hendrix - “Electric Ladyland”
An old friend of the family, Bacon, gave me these 2 records when I started to learn how to play guitar. I was hooked immediately. The Beatles have always been faves and when I heard Hendrix for the 1st time, I was amazed that a guitar could sound like that!

4)The Sex Pistols - “Never Mind The Bullocks”
The greatest electric guitar sound ever recorded! This album is nothing but pure energy! I've worn out so many copies...vinyl, 8 track, cassettes, and CDs. This led me in search of more sounds like it.

5)BB King - “Live At Cook County Jail”
I stole this off of my oldest brother. "The Thrill Is Gone" is the first song I ever remember hearing...I was maybe 3. When I heard my brother playing this record, I recognized that sound! I was just a kid and knew I had to have it! Sorry bro...I'll buy you a CD copy if you want.

6)Johnny Cash - “Greatest Hits”
Grand Master JC...nuff said.

7)Buddy Holly - “Greatest Hits”
I'd heard Buddy Holly my entire life and always enjoyed his stuff but it wasn't until I was about 20 and bought a Best Of collection that I realized just how good he was. He helped define rock and roll in so many ways.

8)Isaac Hayes - “Shaft, Black Moses, Joy”
Our mum was a huge Isaac Hayes fan. I was maybe 4-5 when I figured out how to work the record player and these 3 records got a lot of spin time from me. Here was this bald, black man with cool shades and this low voice. It was hypnotizing to me.

9)Scott Joplin - “The Sting Soundtrack”
Again, mum's record collection. She loved ragtime, especially Joplin. When 'The Sting' came out, we went to see it at the movies and withing a few days, she had the soundtrack. It became a large part of the soundtrack of my own childhood.

10)Tom Waits - “The Heart of Saturday Night”
The 1st record I ever got by the genius himself. He can do no wrong in my book. This record merely opened the door for me.

11)The Ramones - “The Ramones”
Buzzsaw guitars and quasi-bubblegum songs...it shouldn't have worked but it did. And it gave birth to my love of their music. I saw them nearly 30 times.

12)The Clash - “London Calling”
This was the 1st record I heard by these guys and it's still the best. THIS is what a rock and roll record should be!

13)Pere Ubu - “The Modern Dance”
A friend's dad lived in the same building as Ubu keyboardist Alan Ravenstine, so my friend always had their latest record. This was the 1st one he loaned me. One listen to "Modern Dance" and I was hooked! Nothing sounded like this before or since. And that's saying something...especially considering these guys hailed from Cleveland!

14)Link Wray - “Rumble”
The birth of loud, nasty, electric guitar! Without Link, there would've been no garage/heavy metal/punk rock.Nuff said.

15)Sanford Clark - “The Fool”
A friend made me a tape of Sanford Clark songs once and this was the 1st song on it. I've been a lifelong fan since then. That dark, brooding, meloncholy sound...none better.

16)Duane Eddy - “Rebel Rouser”
TWANG!!!!!!! Nuff said.

17)Henry Mancini - “Peter Gunn Theme”
Mancini wrote so many cool songs and riffs but this, to me, stands out as his masterpiece. It's the ultimate spy/detective theme!

18)Albert Collins - “Crosscut Saw”

19)Albert King “I’ll Play The Blues For You”
When I was 19, I joined my first blues band. All the other guys were much older and seasoned vets. The singer, Don, had an amazing blues collection. He made me a cassette of Albert Collins on one side and Albert King on the other. MINDBLOWING is the only word I have to describe it. These two songs have always stood out among the rest. I was privileged to become friends with Albert Collins the last few years of his life and even more privileged to have had him teach me a few things on the guitar....even if it took me 20 years to make sense of it.

20)Madness - “One Step Beyond”
In my teens, this record opened the doors to ska and reggae for me...and I've never looked back. Ska/reggae became the soundtrack to my college days.

21)The Cars “Candy-O”
In the late 70s/80s, synthesizers found their place in rock and roll...and no one used them better than The Cars. Until their last album, guitar and synth weaved a brillaint interplay on all of their records, especially Candy-O. Sadly, their last record (which was also their biggest hit) SUCKED. Too much synth...not enough guitar.

22)The Byrds + “Turn Turn Turn”
Electric 12 string jangle. Nuff said.

23)Kiss - “The Originals”
At about age 10, my cousin Petey and I discovered Kiss. It was like a comic book came to life and played rock and roll! I tried to steal this 3 record set from K-Mart! LOL It didn't happen! Still one of the best rock and roll bands ever. Nothing serious....just loud, crazy R&R!

24)Chuck Berry - “Johnny B. Goode”
How to play Rock & Roll Guitar 101!

25)Elvis Presley - “Baby Let’s Play House”
The ultimate rockabilly song....ever!

26)Elvis Costello - “Armed Forces”

27)Tom Petty - “Damn The Torpedoes”
I got into Costello and Petty about the same time and for the same reasons. It struck me as rock and roll for intelligent people. Well-written, well-crafted songs with hooks for days!

28)Webb Wilder - “Town & Country”
A genius album by a sadly underrated performer. As WW describes it, imagine a mix tape where we play all the songs. This record shows just what a good, tight band can do...even with other people's music.

29)King Crimson “Discipline”
I don't remember why I bought this record...all I know is I'm glad I did! This wasn't your typical rock and roll! It wasn't overblown and boring like Yes. It was interesting, catchy, and sometimes just downright weird...and I love every second of it! It led me in search of many other sounds.

30)David Bowie - Some weird “Best of” record from Japan
I always enjoyed Bowie but not really enough to buy any of his stuff. He got enough radio play to negate having to do that. But...a crazy gal I dated briefly, one summer in my high school days, gave me this crazy Japanese "Best of" cassette. The cover was in Japanese so I have no idea what it's called. It had songs like "Amsterdam" and foreign language versions of some of his hits. Kinda blew my mind at the time.

31)Joe Negri - No recordings…just live/TV
To my dying day, whenever I think of guitar, I'll think of Joe Negri first.

32)Marvin Gaye - “Heard It Through The Grapevine”
This song taught me how important production is and just how important a good bass line is!

33)Parliament Funkadelic - “Mothership Connection”
My brothers and sister really loved P-Funk. At the time, I claimed to hate it (typical little brother brattishness) but I took in every note. I would often sneak into my brothers' room and "borrow" this one.

34)Buck Owens - “Act Naturally”

35)Hank Williams Sr. - “Lovesick Blues”

36)Slim Whitman - “Indian Love Call”
Dad loved country music. He would force us to watch Hee Haw every Saturday night. Somehow in my teens, these songs stuck in my head. They each had their own unique sound...a sound that still has yet to be duplicated...not for lack of trying.

37)Ennio Morricone - “The Good, Bad, and Ugly”
If God Himself ever wrote a guitar song, it would sound like this.

38)Elmore James - “Dust My Broom”
Elmore's slide guitar on this is like the gates of Hell opening up. Scary at first...but you'll stick around. Probably for eternity.

39)Motown/Stax/Volt
Probably the soundtrack of my childhood. Mom liked it all. Dad liked it all. Heard it on the radio all the time. Too many killer songs and too many killer grooves to pick just one.

40)Jesus Christ Superstar Original Cast Soundtrack
Basically a 2 record workshop on how to be a creative songwriter. I mean really, who goes from an F chord to a B???? It shouldn't work...but it does. Beautifully. Not a bad song on here. Filled my dreams and nightmares up to my teens.

There are so many more I could list here. I'm still hearing new sounds every day. I'm influenced, in some way, by everything I hear. This is just a rough list. Hopefully this list will get you to think about the music that has influenced you...and how.




      No comments:

      Post a Comment