Skip to main content

OFF THE PATH


Any forest ranger will tell you to pay attention to the signs. DO NOT FEED THE BEARS is of particular importance, for more reasons than most might think. NO SWIMMING should be easily understood. FALLING ROCKS is another.

If there’s a sign that more adventurous types ignore, it’s probably STAY ON TRAIL. It’s estimated that between 1,000 - 2,500 people ignore these signs every year and either become hopelessly lost and require search and rescue teams, or worse; they’re never seen again.

A cool, sunny day in October finds a small group of carrion beetles feasting on the remains of presumably a misplaced adventurer. The beetles are sharing, as best they can, the feast with a group of blow flies. Neither group seems particularly interested in the origins of their meal. ‘Locally sourced’ is a phrase that has yet to catch on among the insect population.

It’s difficult to say if they noticed the missing head. If so inclined, they might speculate if this happened prior to landing or after. It wouldn’t be unusual for one of the larger scavengers to chew through the neck, dislocating the dome and possibly carrying it off for a later snack.

While less likely, there is always the possibility that a bear, or other large creature removed it first.

Humans are a rarity in this part of the forest. However, on these rare occasions their remains provide welcome nourishment for the local population.

The crows, foxes, coyotes, and the like have long since cleaned the body of most of the more tender and flavorful tissue. It’s likely that a few physical altercations ensued during those first few days. Wolves and coyotes aren’t prone to sharing. The insect world is less selfish, for the most part.

During this secondary period of soft tissue loss, the fly larvae - maggots - eat their fill. The ants, beetles, etc. enjoy their portions as well. There are occasions when an insect might overeat to the point of its own demise, thereby becoming an added treat.

Bacteria and fungi play their roles as well, taking over where teeth fail. They assist in breaking down the remaining tissue, especially those covered by the outer layer of added landscape. These often appear in different colors and textures. Some are an added culinary bonus, while some are a mere hindrance.

The uncovered remains, the arms and legs, once becoming skeletal, often bring a return of some of the larger scavengers. The coyotes, wolves, boars, etc. have a waste not/want not policy. Their particular digestion finds nutrients in even the hardest tissue. This does often result in the scattering of bones across the forest.

Should a forest ranger or other adventurer ever come across these remains, the odds are likely that the findings would be little more than a few bits and pieces of bone, and maybe some of the body’s outer textural landscaping.

Such is life off the path.


copyright notice © 2026 Michael C. Metzger




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Money Miser

I'm usually not one to suggest products or suggest against products...unless I think they're really fantastic or utter pieces of crap. Well I'm here to tell ya, the Money Miser Coin Sorter SUCKS ROTTING ZOMBIE ASS! I've always been frugal...but don't take that as cheap . I work hard for my money and I like to save when/where I can. For the past few years (which from 2007-2010 were really tight), I've always kept a jar on the kitchen table, and when I get home at night (or in the morning as is the case most days) I dump whatever pocket change I have into said jar. I'd usually cash it in at Ye Olde Coinstar machine just before payday...in case I needed gas, lunch money, or just a night on the town. I would usually amass $60 or per month this way. This past year has been pretty decent financially so around May, I switched to a bigger jar. I hadn't taken anything OUT of the jar since around April. Well, the jar finally got so full (and so heavy I co...

Haunted Pittsburgh #2: A Ghost Close to Home

You could almost say I have a ghost in my own backyard! Well, not quite my back yard but at least close to home. You'd think that living close to a cemetary, I'd be telling of ghosts there but you'd be wrong! This is the story of Peter, a little boy ghost. I've heard this story for years! My family has lived in this area since the early 20th century. Up until recently, the oldest house in Allegheny county was our family homestead, but after the death of my great aunt Alberta, the house was sold. My grandmother and great aunts used to tell me stories of prohibition and all the crazy times. I wish my great aunt Ann was alive so I could get more information on this alleged 'bordello'. (she lived right up the street...but WAS NOT a working girl! LOL)Anyhoo, on with the story... BLAHA FLOWER SHOP (Etna, Allegheny County) Shop owner David Kornely relocated his flower and gift shop to Bridge Street in Etna in 1991. He had heard the building was haunted but had no secon...

New Book! (and what comes next)

 My 1st print book now exists. What a strange way to put it. I've always enjoyed writing, even when I was a kid and it wasn't cool . Honestly, I never thought I'd do anything with it. It was just another outlet for all of the ideas banging around in my head. For decades, a lot of these thoughts became songs. Now I've returned to the simplicity of words. I write because I enjoy telling stories - pretty much the same with songwriting. The only difference is that now I don't have to go on a stage or into a recording studio. There I days I miss both, but who knows...maybe one day I'll do it all again. Writers write for different reasons. Some for acclaim or notoriety. Some for profit. Same as with music, painting, sculpting, acting - I think those goals are a matter of seeking validation. But for what? Doing what you enjoy is validation enough. For years I've written this blog. In some ways, it's the perfect medium for me. I do it, it's done, published, ...