Skip to main content

Mikesmas 60: A Public Service Announcement

 Simmer down...this is more for me than anyone else. I'm chuckling like a goon here. - MM


I’m now 60.

This is not a drill.

I was today years old when I realized the English language did not survive the internet. It was not murdered - it was slowly, painfully algorithmed to death.

Not me witnessing the full collapse of vocabulary in real time...

Unpopular opinion:

If you know, you know...and I wish I didn’t.

I did a thing.

Yeah. You avoided a verb. Congratulations on your brave journey.

Living your best life?

Most of you are eating cold pizza in sweatpants at 2am arguing with something named “Kyle (Patriot Mode).” Be aware.

Proceed with caution.

Yinz ain't ready for that conversation - mostly because it requires complete sentences.

And I oop -

In my era (go ahead, dock my aura points, I’ve got plenty), we didn’t say “adulting.” We just suffered quietly and developed personality disorders like God intended.

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

(No one asked for. No one needed. Yet here we are.)

“My favorite human.”

You mean...a person? A friend? A spouse? We had words. We used them. They worked.

Now everything sounds like it was written by a malfunctioning Hallmark card with Wi-Fi.

Very demure. Very mindful.

Of what? You just put ranch dressing on spaghetti and posted about it like it cured polio.

Cooked. We are absolutely cooked.

Somewhere along the line, every inconvenience became a “damsel in distress.” Every story needed a “Dark Lord.” And every bad haircut now comes with “convenient amnesia” and an “unexpected twin.”

It’s not a life. It’s a low-budget soap opera written by a chatbot with a head injury.

You can thank me later.

Not me turning 60 and realizing I survived rotary phones, cassette tapes, and lead paint...only to be taken out by “I was today years old” for the 147th time this week.

If you know, you know.

If you don’t… congratulations. You’re probably still using full sentences.

Anyway, I’ll be over here - aging like a VFW bar stool:

cracked, loud, possibly unsafe, but somehow maybe the most honest thing in the room.

Don’t mind me. Just having fun with the words and phrases we’re all constantly bombarded with.

Peace out… n’at.




Since you made it this far, you might want to check out an excerpt from the book I'm currently writing. 

CLICK HERE OR DON'T


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uninvited

If you know me, you know I'm a musician. Damned near 50 years treading the boards making noise.  Just like any other commercial venture, there are certain sales and marketing strategies involved with being a musician. One of the most basic and necessary being the demo tape. Back in my youth, the demo tape was usually a cassette; often recorded live. It gave the prospective purchaser (usually some guy at a bar who really didn't give a shit) an idea of how an act sounded, and what they could expect should they choose to hire ya.  Over the years, the demo tape itself became more polished. Some used it as a tool to garner interest from managers, publicists, producers and record execs. The issue I always had with these was that they were inherently dishonest. Rather than displaying how an artist actually sounded, it instead put forth an idea of what they could sound like - given perfect circumstances. Such conditions rarely exist.  By the late 80s, some of us used a VHS tape o...

My Books

 I won't lie. I sorta kinda need this post for my LinkTree thing. 😂 But since you're here, I'll guess you have some curiosity about my books. Here ya go! Just click on the cover and it should take you to the Barnes & Noble site (if you're so inclined). Thanks! - MM This is pretty much where it started. A collection of short stories. I've been pleasantly surprised at how well-received it's been. There are moments when something changes. Not dramatically. Not all at once. Just enough to notice. A conversation that feels slightly off. A familiar place that no longer feels quite the same. A small event that lingers longer than it should. In BODIES, Michael C. Metzger explores those quiet turning points where ordinary lives brush against the strange, the unsettling, and the unexpected. These eighteen stories are rooted in familiar ground: small towns, aging neighborhoods, workplaces, relationships, late-night conversations, and everyday routines. Beneath the sur...

Clearing up the Great Gretsch/Rockabilly Sham!

I've had a long-standing friendly argument with a couple of friends about guitars. This has gone on for 20+ years. We're all pickers, and we're all usually lumped under the rockabilly category too. They both love Gretsch guitars. I can take them or leave them. Rockabilly fans have asked me many times why I don't play a Gretsch, which is often associated with rockabilly music.   First, I point out that what I play ain't exactly rockabilly. Sure, there's a definite rockabilly influence...but there's also blues, jazz, surf, garage, punk, country, Tex-Mex, and even some Gypsy & African influences in my music. A Gretsch just ain't gonna cut it. Don't get me wrong, Gretsches have their place and their own, unique sound. But...for a picker who is coming from the afore-mentioned influences, a Gretsch just ain't gonna cut it.   The new Gretsches, mostly reissues, are well-made guitars. MUCH better made than the original ones, which tended to ...