If you know me, you know I'm a musician. Damned near 50 years treading the boards making noise.
Just like any other commercial venture, there are certain sales and marketing strategies involved with being a musician. One of the most basic and necessary being the demo tape.
Back in my youth, the demo tape was usually a cassette; often recorded live. It gave the prospective purchaser (usually some guy at a bar who really didn't give a shit) an idea of how an act sounded, and what they could expect should they choose to hire ya.
Over the years, the demo tape itself became more polished. Some used it as a tool to garner interest from managers, publicists, producers and record execs. The issue I always had with these was that they were inherently dishonest. Rather than displaying how an artist actually sounded, it instead put forth an idea of what they could sound like - given perfect circumstances. Such conditions rarely exist.
By the late 80s, some of us used a VHS tape of a live performance to show our wares. I always liked this. Even with a bit of editing, it was difficult to polish the proverbial turd. The room wasn't magically turned into the Fillmore. The crowd wasn't automatically transformed into throngs of screaming fans. All it was was a moment captured, in full color and often in stereo. It proclaimed, "THIS IS WHO WE ARE" which translates to "this is what you'll get".
Sometimes it worked. Often times it didn't. Everyone was looking for a new and better idea/method. I'm old school. I believe the old honest methods still work best.
Fast-forward to 2026.
I've released numerous albums (to varying degrees of success). I've toured three continents - successfully, I might add. I never got rich, but I also wouldn't trade a second of it.
As I often do, I've returned to writing. It's part of my comfort zone. Just as my music doesn't neatly fit into a single category or genre, neither does my literary output. Probably safe to say that I'm "different". I don't (and never have) claimed any degree of excellence. That depiction lies ultimately with the person reading my work, listening to my music, watching my videos, etc.
Either you enjoy it or you don't. I hope it's the former but there's not much I can really do if it's the latter. Sure, I could attempt to conform to some imagined standard - but why?
Everything I create, I create for myself. I've been very lucky in that a lot of others enjoy my output. If nothing else, it gives me some motivation to continue. I would anyway. As Mr. Hooker preached, "it's in him and it's gotta come out."
Here I am. I've published three collections of short stories, with a novel being released in a few days. I opted for self-publishing (via Barnes & Noble) simply because it is, for me, much less annoying than dealing with folks in the publishing industry. From personal experience I can tell you that they are every bit as awful as the music industry. They hold tight to the belief in risk management. Every publisher wants a Stephen King or a JK Rowling. From a business standpoint, I understand completely. That isn't going to change what or how I write, just as I never changed my musical output to fit the latest trends.
I turned down my first recording contract in my teens. I've turned down a few more since then. I never saw the point in handing over my creations to a boardroom. I read the contracts. I've had lawyers and even a judge read them (I admit my limited knowledge of legalese). I'm even less likely to hand over my writing. Again, either you enjoy it or you don't.
This brings us to the point of this long-winded blog post.
I've created a literary demo tape of sorts.
I get it. People are busy. The owner of a book shop is unlikely to have the time to read literally every word printed in every book they encounter. I value their time as much as I value my own. With that in mind, I pieced together a short collection titled UNINVITED.
This is not and will not be available for commercial release. There's nothing new inside. It's just a collection of shorts from my first three books (BODIES, LITTLE GUY, and THE HOUSE REMEMBERS). I made my choices based on stories that I guessed might grab the attention of someone who's career is based on convincing others to read something they haven't already.
Will it work? Who the hell knows. The internet has destroyed creativity. It's all about marketing and sales now. OK, that might not be any different than it ever was - it just feels slimier than ever.
I'll close out with my little note at the beginning of the collection (for those of you who've read to this point). It's very ME.
A Quick Note from the Author
Please excuse me if I come across as gruff...While I hope you enjoy my work; the reality is that I don't give a rat's ass if you do or not. I write for me. Others have always seemed to enjoy it, so here's some of my work.
Unlike most who enter the creative realm, I'm not seeking validation. I've already lived more than most. By the age of 15, I'd already been in two major motion pictures and had been published nationally.
I went into music, and that took me around the world, performing in numerous countries on three continents to crowds of up to 60,000 people.
I know what it means to walk away from it all. I know what so-called fame is. Most of it is highly undesirable. And all of that is a mere fraction of my life thus far.
I spent over a quarter century working with folks with "special needs." I spent a decade or so in the wonderfully weird world of pharmacy.
I was declared dead. I got better.
I should be dead a few times over. I haven't been that lucky.
My health has tried to rob me of everything. I'm too damned stubborn to permit that.
So why have I presented this to you? Honest answer: because you just might see the value of my work and be so inclined to make it available to those who might enjoy it.
Life is a crap shoot. One can calculate risks all day long. Something always gets us in the end.
Life is too short to not take chances. I've taken a chance on you. Maybe there's a slim chance that you'll return the favor.
Thanks for taking a moment to read this, and I do hope you enjoy my work.
Like I said, the world is unlikely to end for either of us if you don't...
But at least we'll know. (MCM 9/2029)
If you or someone you know owns or works in a funky little book shop, reach out to me. I'll gladly get a copy of UNINVITED to you at no charge. The same goes for publishers. We can work something out if need be.Until next time...


Comments
Post a Comment