Skip to main content

What's Next???

Many of you have asked why I'm planning a long break from performing. First off, thanks for the concern. This decision has been a while coming. As most of you know, the past few years have been harder than they should've been. I finally made a conscious decision that, for at least the foreseeable future, I need to concentrate on work, family, and home...mostly work.

I was unemployed for all of 2012. While I got by OK, a lot of bills didn't get the attention they craved. I had to park my HoopDeVille and start taking the bus. I've been OK with all of that. But...after being laid off a few weeks ago with no chance of unemployment benefits, I've been forced to take drastic measures.

On the positive side, I now have a job again. While neither glamorous nor particularly challenging, it's a job. The pay is decent and offers lots of overtime. 6-7 day work weeks will not be unusual. Factor in that I'll be working the afternoon shift (2:30p - 10:30p), all the way out there in Crambleberry, and you can see that gigging probably won't be possible.

So, does this mean I'm retiring from music? In short, the answer is an emphatic NO!!!!!!!!

I'll still be doing shows when possible. I have a few already lined up. I've let my new employers know that on these certain days, I will not be available. I'm sure they'll survive.

I also plan to continue to record. I have one CD finished that I've been sitting on for a while. It's just not been the right time to release it (I also couldn't afford to release it on my own...and I don't trust record companies)...and who knows, it could be out soon. I have another disc that I'd like to have out by fall. That one will be early Tremblers stuff...including a lot of alternate mixes, a couple of new songs with the old lineup and a few unreleased tracks.  I'm also still working on the next studio album...which I think is going to be the best I've ever done. I already have confirmation from a couple of "guests" who are going to make the record just explode (musicially). I think you'll all be surprised when you find out who they are.

So, I'm OK. Life is good. Just having to make some grown up decisions. The young'un is being very supportive of my choice. She knows I'll never stop making music. That, for me, is simply an impossibility.

For the time being, I need to be content with a "normal" life. Job, bills, fixing up the house...the usual. I'm a very lucky and blessed man to have someone like the young'un to share it all with...the good AND the bad. We've weathered some storms in our 5+ years together and we keep getting stronger.

I'm also looking into going back to school (again). As I'll have mornings open, I might as well utilize that time for something positive. Once I finally have that elusive sheepskin, I probably won't have to worry about some of the issues I contend with these days. Who knows...we'll see.

Regardless, I'd like to see YOU at one of the next few gigs. It could be your last chance for a long time...and really, you know what my shows are like....LOUD, FAST, & FUN!!!!!!!! Here's where I'll be:

July 20: The Ralley in the Valley (Connellsville, PA) - This will be my 6th (I think) year at the Ralley. ALWAYS a fun time! If ya like hot rods, street rods, rat rods, R&R and pinups...this is the place to be! PLUS...I'll be playing with both bands! The Bessemers around 1pm and The Legendary Tremblers around 3:30 (as always, we'll be providing the tunes for the pin up competition...and we'll have the best view possible! LOL)

July 27: Howler's Coyote Cafe (Pittsburgh, PA) - This is gonna be a rare kinda night! It's our bass player Rob's 60th birthday! We're gonna show ya that old farts can outrock the kids any day of the week! Also on the bill will be legendary Pittsburgh rockers ATS! There's rumor that The Armadillos will be onboard too...but their bass player's wife is close to having a kid...so we'll see how that unfolds. Regardless, it's gonna be a night to remember!!!

The Bessemers may be playing at some vintage bike ralley in the afternoon...but that's not been confirmed yet.

October 11: We're doing a set at our bass player's daughter's wedding. Sorry kids...this is a private event.

In the inimitable words of Porky Pig, "Beebadabeedababee...That's All Folks!"

Stick around...ya never know what could happen next!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Great Tuesday Flood

This is why I'm fun on road trips! - MCM Tammy's water broke and pert near flooded all of Main Street. The Krystiak twins had to be taken out of the dollar store in one of them blow-up rubber rafts. Old Ms. McGertz hasn't been seen and is presumed drowned. But let me back up. Bob Halpern is one of the two full-time police officers in the town of Sandy Lake. There are only about 600 residents, give or take, so the Cahill County sheriff's department does most of the heavy lifting. Bob has been sucking up every minute of overtime he can ever since they got word that Tammy was pregnant again. The last time, she ballooned up to damned near three hundred pounds. She had a craving for those hot spicy fried pickles, you know, the ones you can get at the county fair. She had Bob running all over Cahill County and as far away as Torrence trying to find the damned things. To most folks, Tammy barely hits 'pleasant' on most days. The added weight and aggravation of pregn...

Uninvited

If you know me, you know I'm a musician. Damned near 50 years treading the boards making noise.  Just like any other commercial venture, there are certain sales and marketing strategies involved with being a musician. One of the most basic and necessary being the demo tape. Back in my youth, the demo tape was usually a cassette; often recorded live. It gave the prospective purchaser (usually some guy at a bar who really didn't give a shit) an idea of how an act sounded, and what they could expect should they choose to hire ya.  Over the years, the demo tape itself became more polished. Some used it as a tool to garner interest from managers, publicists, producers and record execs. The issue I always had with these was that they were inherently dishonest. Rather than displaying how an artist actually sounded, it instead put forth an idea of what they could sound like - given perfect circumstances. Such conditions rarely exist.  By the late 80s, some of us used a VHS tape o...

Clearing up the Great Gretsch/Rockabilly Sham!

I've had a long-standing friendly argument with a couple of friends about guitars. This has gone on for 20+ years. We're all pickers, and we're all usually lumped under the rockabilly category too. They both love Gretsch guitars. I can take them or leave them. Rockabilly fans have asked me many times why I don't play a Gretsch, which is often associated with rockabilly music.   First, I point out that what I play ain't exactly rockabilly. Sure, there's a definite rockabilly influence...but there's also blues, jazz, surf, garage, punk, country, Tex-Mex, and even some Gypsy & African influences in my music. A Gretsch just ain't gonna cut it. Don't get me wrong, Gretsches have their place and their own, unique sound. But...for a picker who is coming from the afore-mentioned influences, a Gretsch just ain't gonna cut it.   The new Gretsches, mostly reissues, are well-made guitars. MUCH better made than the original ones, which tended to ...