Skip to main content

Cancer

Cancer...aka The Big C.

I saw a post on Facebook today saying something to the effect of "How many people out there wish cancer didn't exist". As a 2 time survivor, I have to admit, I chuckled. I, for one, have found cancer to serve a few purposes in my life.

First off, just what exactly is cancer? Simple:

can·cer

/ˈkansər/
Noun
  1. The disease caused by an uncontrolled division of abnormal cells in a part of the body.
  2. A malignant growth or tumor resulting from such a division of cells.
 
That's really all it is. You don't catch it like the flu, it doesn't miraculously appear out of nowhere...you have cells, sometimes they do things you don't want them to. Sometimes it's controllable and/or treatable...sometimes it's not.
 
Since my initial diagnosis in 2000, I've come to know a lot of people who have or have had cancer. Each one of them amazes me. One friend developed spinal cancer as a baby and had at least one surgery per year well into her 20s. She is an amazing woman and one helluva fighter! Just TRY telling her she CAN'T do something!
 
Another friend beat cancer while studying nursing. She's another amazing woman and fighter. As a nurse, I think she will excel at working with cancer patients...as she knows from firsthand experience what the patient is experiencing.
 
Another friend was diagnosed with lung cancer. After a lobectomy, he's doing pretty well. He gets winded easier...but his outlook is good...both medically and personally. Every time I talk to him, he sounds happier than he has in years.
 
I've lost a number of friends to cancer. I think that most of us have known someone touched by cancer in some way. As a survivor, cancer has taught me some valuable lessons. It has taught me to live life on my own terms. It's my life and no one else's. It has taught me to accept each person for who they are. I don't judge. I've made some amazing friends thanks to this...friends that I probably wouldn't have otherwise. Having had cancer has taught me to appreciate the little things in life and to truly be passionate about the things that mean something to me...whether it be music, art, friends, family, food, politics, etc. Cancer has taught me to respect other people and their opinions. I may not always agree but I'll give anyone the respect to have their own point of view.
 
Cancer has taught me to slow the hell down! Why does everyone feel the need to rush so much? What's the big hurry? The journey should be enjoyed...savored...not rushed through. Need to get somewhere faster? Leave earlier. Or change your ETA. Many of you will say that you can't. Fact is, you've probably never tried.
 
Oddly enough, I got rid of cable TV around the time I was first diagnosed. I didn't realize it at the time but in retrospect, I, like many of us, wasted so damned much time in front of the boob tube/idiot box. Let's be honest, there's rarely anything good on there.
 
I started writing more at that time. Music, essays, you name it...I started writing...creating! I got back in to photography again. Since then, I've taken thousands of photos all over the world. I seriously think that had I not been diagnosed with cancer, I might not have done much of what I've done this century. I took some big chances. Some paid off, some didn't. That's life...it's a gamble.
 
Cancer has taught me to pay attention to my body. It tells me what it wants and needs. When I go to the doctor, I don't ask him what might be wrong. If something is wrong, I tell him! Makes his job easier and my day less stressful. Sure, my doctors would much rather I not smoke or drink...but I remind them often that I'll probably dance on their graves. I might not...but I live each day like there's no tomorrow, all the while planning so far ahead that I may never reach the finish line! Cancer taught me that too!
 
So really...why wish for something as silly as there being no cancer? Why not wish for someone to find the causes of cancer or even cures? Why not wish for a cure for diabetes or heart disease or AIDS? I'll tell you why: each of these things happen for a reason. Just because we neither know nor understand the reason is irrelevant. They happen. Humans are fallible. We breakdown just like any other mechanism.
 
If you really want to wish for something, wish someone a nice day. That's really the one thing we all really want anyway.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Great Tuesday Flood

This is why I'm fun on road trips! - MCM Tammy's water broke and pert near flooded all of Main Street. The Krystiak twins had to be taken out of the dollar store in one of them blow-up rubber rafts. Old Ms. McGertz hasn't been seen and is presumed drowned. But let me back up. Bob Halpern is one of the two full-time police officers in the town of Sandy Lake. There are only about 600 residents, give or take, so the Cahill County sheriff's department does most of the heavy lifting. Bob has been sucking up every minute of overtime he can ever since they got word that Tammy was pregnant again. The last time, she ballooned up to damned near three hundred pounds. She had a craving for those hot spicy fried pickles, you know, the ones you can get at the county fair. She had Bob running all over Cahill County and as far away as Torrence trying to find the damned things. To most folks, Tammy barely hits 'pleasant' on most days. The added weight and aggravation of pregn...

Clearing up the Great Gretsch/Rockabilly Sham!

I've had a long-standing friendly argument with a couple of friends about guitars. This has gone on for 20+ years. We're all pickers, and we're all usually lumped under the rockabilly category too. They both love Gretsch guitars. I can take them or leave them. Rockabilly fans have asked me many times why I don't play a Gretsch, which is often associated with rockabilly music.   First, I point out that what I play ain't exactly rockabilly. Sure, there's a definite rockabilly influence...but there's also blues, jazz, surf, garage, punk, country, Tex-Mex, and even some Gypsy & African influences in my music. A Gretsch just ain't gonna cut it. Don't get me wrong, Gretsches have their place and their own, unique sound. But...for a picker who is coming from the afore-mentioned influences, a Gretsch just ain't gonna cut it.   The new Gretsches, mostly reissues, are well-made guitars. MUCH better made than the original ones, which tended to ...

Uninvited

If you know me, you know I'm a musician. Damned near 50 years treading the boards making noise.  Just like any other commercial venture, there are certain sales and marketing strategies involved with being a musician. One of the most basic and necessary being the demo tape. Back in my youth, the demo tape was usually a cassette; often recorded live. It gave the prospective purchaser (usually some guy at a bar who really didn't give a shit) an idea of how an act sounded, and what they could expect should they choose to hire ya.  Over the years, the demo tape itself became more polished. Some used it as a tool to garner interest from managers, publicists, producers and record execs. The issue I always had with these was that they were inherently dishonest. Rather than displaying how an artist actually sounded, it instead put forth an idea of what they could sound like - given perfect circumstances. Such conditions rarely exist.  By the late 80s, some of us used a VHS tape o...