Skip to main content

In Support Of Live Music

I've long suggested that people support live music. Without the support of the 'fans', it'll fade away. That said, allow me to address a serious issue with live music. Promoters.

I swear, there should be a test/licensing involved in becoming a concert promoter! I haven't met many that have the intelligence beyond that of a hydrocephalic spider monkey. At least not locally.

I had planned to go to see former Wall of Voodoo singer Stan Ridgway last night at a SMALL bar here in town. I've played this joint numerous times over the years and I'll tell ya, its a nice place. When I got there, I see the poster on the door and the promoter is charging $23 a head! First off...WEIRD price! Why not just make it $25? The section of town this bar is in is pretty low rent/blue collar. People want to go out and have some drinks and a bit of fun. They do NOT want to drop $20+ just walking in the door. (this ain't NYC or LA!) Factor in having a few drinks....and if you're with a date, double everything. This fun night out has just increased to at least a $100. Hopefully you ate dinner at home.

This is not in anyway putting down Stan Ridgway or any musician. We're all worth what we're worth and touring costs money. Travel expenses, hotels, meals, tour insurance, etc. The artist hopes to make their money from fees and merchandise sales. Stan writes some good stuff...even if he's best remembered for "Mexican Radio". Reality is, that was over a quarter century ago. The average bar patron around here is going to view him as a one hit wonder...at best.

The problem goes back squarely to the promoter. The promoter's job is to book the artist and place them in an appropriate venue, advertise the show and collect the money. As for advertising, there wasn't much...at least that I knew of! I heard about the show word of mouth. I'm not a huge fan but figured what the heck...dude is in town, its not far from home, how much could be? I flat out refused to pay $23 just on principal. Its a bar gig for Pete's sake! I'm sure Mr. Ridgway has a set fee for Saturday nights and hopefully he got paid his due...but the promoter should've used some common sense and either booked this show in a larger venue or negotiated for a lower fee commensurate with venue size and potential crowd expectation.

In short, if you're going to book a show...research it! Will this artist draw a crowd? If you're unsure, do everything in your power to attract the potential crowd. That way, the next time that artist comes around, those people will be back and probably bring their friends with them...guaranteeing (you guessed it) MORE MONEY! If you're calling yourself a promoter, PROMOTE! Slapping up a couple posters here & there doesn't cut it. Make sure the press is all over it and make sure its advertised HEALTHILY on radio (internet too). I usually have the radio on at work, tuned to the local station that would put Stan Ridgway into its rotation, especially knowing he had an upcoming gig here. Not once did I hear one of his songs or mention of the show. BAD PROMOTER!!!!! Grease a few palms if you have to!

Pittsburgh "promoters" are notorious for these types of shenanigans. I remember the last time The Blasters were in town. Mike Elko (pure evil if there ever was!) booked them at The Rex theater and the only reason I knew about it was a friend had an art opening across the street and I'd seen a poster at The Rex the day before! The turnout was "ok", probably due in part to me calling about 50 people and telling them! None had known The Blasters had a show booked! Most made it to the show I might add. The Blasters were less than thrilled with the evening...although they put on as good a show as I've ever seen them play. Just shows what a bunch of real pros they are!

Pittsburgh's "promoters" are a lazy bunch...all hoping to make a quick buck. They don't realize that its a JOB and requires WORK on their part. Everyone needs to be paid. The venue needs to make it's money as does the artist (and opening act if applicable). Sure, it's a lot of work. But then again, no one forced anyone to become a concert promoter. The economy is rough but people still want to be entertained. Work with what you have. If, as a promoter, you can't make a show affordable, you may have to pass on it. Sad but true.

I'm sure this blog will do lots to bolster my popularity with the local promoters! But then again, I made it around the world without their help. I hope that those who went to the Stan Ridgway show had a blast. I'm sure he put on a good show. I just wasn't going to pay "this certain promoter" for his lack of work ethic. Its the principal of it....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Clearing up the Great Gretsch/Rockabilly Sham!

I've had a long-standing friendly argument with a couple of friends about guitars. This has gone on for 20+ years. We're all pickers, and we're all usually lumped under the rockabilly category too. They both love Gretsch guitars. I can take them or leave them. Rockabilly fans have asked me many times why I don't play a Gretsch, which is often associated with rockabilly music.   First, I point out that what I play ain't exactly rockabilly. Sure, there's a definite rockabilly influence...but there's also blues, jazz, surf, garage, punk, country, Tex-Mex, and even some Gypsy & African influences in my music. A Gretsch just ain't gonna cut it. Don't get me wrong, Gretsches have their place and their own, unique sound. But...for a picker who is coming from the afore-mentioned influences, a Gretsch just ain't gonna cut it.   The new Gretsches, mostly reissues, are well-made guitars. MUCH better made than the original ones, which tended to ...

My Books

 I won't lie. I sorta kinda need this post for my LinkTree thing. 😂 But since you're here, I'll guess you have some curiosity about my books. Here ya go! Just click on the cover and it should take you to the Barnes & Noble site (if you're so inclined). Thanks! - MM This is pretty much where it started. A collection of short stories. I've been pleasantly surprised at how well-received it's been. There are moments when something changes. Not dramatically. Not all at once. Just enough to notice. A conversation that feels slightly off. A familiar place that no longer feels quite the same. A small event that lingers longer than it should. In BODIES, Michael C. Metzger explores those quiet turning points where ordinary lives brush against the strange, the unsettling, and the unexpected. These eighteen stories are rooted in familiar ground: small towns, aging neighborhoods, workplaces, relationships, late-night conversations, and everyday routines. Beneath the sur...

Uninvited

If you know me, you know I'm a musician. Damned near 50 years treading the boards making noise.  Just like any other commercial venture, there are certain sales and marketing strategies involved with being a musician. One of the most basic and necessary being the demo tape. Back in my youth, the demo tape was usually a cassette; often recorded live. It gave the prospective purchaser (usually some guy at a bar who really didn't give a shit) an idea of how an act sounded, and what they could expect should they choose to hire ya.  Over the years, the demo tape itself became more polished. Some used it as a tool to garner interest from managers, publicists, producers and record execs. The issue I always had with these was that they were inherently dishonest. Rather than displaying how an artist actually sounded, it instead put forth an idea of what they could sound like - given perfect circumstances. Such conditions rarely exist.  By the late 80s, some of us used a VHS tape o...