Skip to main content

The New Civil War

It's getting to be that time again kids. This country appears to be ridiculously divided on issues that seem pretty much "non issues" to most of us. Back in the 19th century it was slavery. Ending slavery meant, for the most part, that a bunch of rich, white southern guys were going to lose "free" labor and their feelings of superiority. In reality, it probably cost more to buy, house and feed slaves than these guys actually lost. So that leaves bigotry and it's ensuing feelings of superiority (aka control).

North Carolina has just made damned sure that ain't no homersexshals gittin' hitched there! I can just hear all of the slack-jawed yokels crying "Hell, it just ain't right for no 2 mens or womens gettin' hitched together".  But as those of us with at least semi functioning brains can attest, there's no problem with two consenting adults wanting to share their lives together.

Sure sure sure...Cletus and the good ol' boys will carry on that such marriages are an abomination in God's eyes. Funny, I'd always been taught that it was a sin to presume to know the mind of God. While incest (aka unclefuckingcousintouching) was relatively common in the Bible, most of us today agree it's pretty gross. I'm sure that Bubba & Co. would rather fuck their 10 year old daughters before allowing two consenting adults, who just happen to share similar genitals, to marry because they LOVE each other. (again...I was always taught that the premier point of Christ's teachings was "love")

I'm sure the good ol' boys and their wives are only concerned about the religious aspect. Right? Well now, let's think about this. Religion seems to be such a big point of reference for these whackadoos...yet churches are tax exempt. Can someone explain this to me? How is it that Christian extremists (essentially the American equivalent of the Taliban) are of the mind that they should get to decide how everyone else lives, yet their own churches do nothing to monetarily benefit the greater good of the state?

It all boils down to this: bigotry and it's ensuing feelings of superiority (aka control).  Have we as a people become so lost in our lives that we can only feel good controlling someone else? Because folks, that's what it's about - control. It's nothing new. It's what it's always been about. It's why religion exists. It's why governments exist.

So, to all of you Biblical literists, please never let me catch any of you doing the following:

  • Eating shellfish (yes Bubba Gump...I mean shrimp!)
  • Working on the Sabbath (that means Friday to some, Saturday to some, and Sunday to some)
  • Wearing two different types of cloth (poly cotton blends included...I'm sure there's a special place in Hell for polyester in general)
  • Eating pork (you heard me Cletus...No More Bacon!)
  • No TOUCHING the skin of a dead pig (that means NO MORE FOOTBALL!)
  • No planting different crops near each other (Monsanto probably will sue you anyway)

Give me a while and I'll compile a more complete list if you wish...all based, quite literally, on The Bible.

Any of you good ol' boys, religious whackadoos, and assorted miscreants who think it's their God-given right to tell their brothers and sisters how to live, yet you don't live by the Bible yourself, let's call a spade a spade shall we...you're hypocrites. Pure and simple. I doubt that most of you have ever read the Bible, let alone used the brains God gave you to attempt to understand it. Therefore, don't use it as a tool to act out your  authoritarian fantasies. Get your own houses in order before you look to tell someone else how to live.

These are indeed dark times we live in...and not because Adam and Steve or Madame and Eve want to marry. These are dark times because there are powerful forces at work doing everything they can to pit us against each other. Corporations and corrupt politicians are your enemy...not the gay couple that wants to share their lives together. The media uses you all like puppets...teaching you to parrot phrases and slogans like the good little Nazis you don't realize you've become.

United we stand people, divided we fall. We won't necessarily fall as individuals...but we will fall as a nation. If you insist on the division, declare the war. I will happily observe my right to bear arms. I am an American. I was born in the land of the free, where we are all created equal. If any one you want to negate that equality, I hope that you have the balls to back it up...because I think you'll find quite a fight on your hands.

Lastly, I've asked this many times before and will ask it again: Why is marriage of any type such an issue? As long as it's between two consenting adults (polygamous Mormons need not apply), what business is it of anyone else?

Yes. A Civil War is brewing. And the object of that war will be control. Just like any other war. It's the 21st century and we've obviously learned nothing. People sicken me.

Comments

  1. I think the USA should decentralize like the Soviet Union. I do not consider myself to have anything in common with folks from Miss. or other states that are so socio-culturally different than myself. Fuck th enotion that I am somehow connected to these douchebags because we are both Americans. That shit is dead. The notion of USA no longer serves. I have no problem with the US and its decline. It deserves it and had it happened earlier, the world would be a better place.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Meatball

 I was always a dog person. I grew up with dogs. Dear ol' dad was never a fan of cats. Mom loved all animals. But ours was a dog house. Plain and simple. My first experience living with a cat was thanks to a roommate. He had a 40-pound lump of feline ferocity named Meatball. When he moved in with his girlfriend, the cat was left behind, due to the girlfriend's alleged allergies. I believe the reality was more like she was allergic to the oversized beast's personality.  Meatball was just mean. Maybe that's the wrong word. In his defense, he was a foundling. My roomie worked at a pizza joint, and Meatball was found in the alley behind the place...noshing on a discarded meatball. This was the cat's preferred food.  Aside from his obesity, Meatball had ear mites or something as a kitten. His ears flopped down, not unlike a pig.  Just imagine a 40-pound cat, with floppy ears, and a bad disposition. Oh, he was mostly white with some black spots. On the rare occasions he w...

The Great Tuesday Flood

This is why I'm fun on road trips! - MCM Tammy's water broke and pert near flooded all of Main Street. The Krystiak twins had to be taken out of the dollar store in one of them blow-up rubber rafts. Old Ms. McGertz hasn't been seen and is presumed drowned. But let me back up. Bob Halpern is one of the two full-time police officers in the town of Sandy Lake. There are only about 600 residents, give or take, so the Cahill County sheriff's department does most of the heavy lifting. Bob has been sucking up every minute of overtime he can ever since they got word that Tammy was pregnant again. The last time, she ballooned up to damned near three hundred pounds. She had a craving for those hot spicy fried pickles, you know, the ones you can get at the county fair. She had Bob running all over Cahill County and as far away as Torrence trying to find the damned things. To most folks, Tammy barely hits 'pleasant' on most days. The added weight and aggravation of pregn...

Uninvited

If you know me, you know I'm a musician. Damned near 50 years treading the boards making noise.  Just like any other commercial venture, there are certain sales and marketing strategies involved with being a musician. One of the most basic and necessary being the demo tape. Back in my youth, the demo tape was usually a cassette; often recorded live. It gave the prospective purchaser (usually some guy at a bar who really didn't give a shit) an idea of how an act sounded, and what they could expect should they choose to hire ya.  Over the years, the demo tape itself became more polished. Some used it as a tool to garner interest from managers, publicists, producers and record execs. The issue I always had with these was that they were inherently dishonest. Rather than displaying how an artist actually sounded, it instead put forth an idea of what they could sound like - given perfect circumstances. Such conditions rarely exist.  By the late 80s, some of us used a VHS tape o...