Skip to main content

UNLEARNING HATE/Отучаване на Oмразата

 Some of you may (or may not) know that I'm learning another language. For reasons of my own, I've decided to teach myself Bulgarian. This also includes learning an entirely new (to me) alphabet! While it might seem daunting to some, I see it as a fun (and useful) challenge. I think I'm doing pretty well so far. Rather than use standard learning tools, I'm mostly teaching myself. I'm approaching the experience from more of a behavioral perspective. How do babies learn language? They usually start by hearing it. Then learning to associate sounds with meanings. Then mimicking the sounds and ultimately forming sentences. Then after a few years of babbling, reading and writing is usually taught. 

I already know how to speak at least one language well, and can read, write, and formulate ideas in it. I can mumble my way through a couple of others. In my years in show biz, I've had the pleasure of working with people from a number of different countries, many whose primary language is not English. I've learned that the key to communication is basic. Learn the nouns and verbs you're likely to use. Learn how to say the words for different foods, drinks, daily objects...and you're off to a good start. Learn how to express wants and needs and you're on your way to actual conversation. 

Doing this, maybe it's because of my age, I'm giving serious thought to the words I want to put into daily conversational skills, as well as words I would prefer to leave out. American English, especially the 21st century variety, is a mess. "Love" is overused and grossly misused. Sadly, so is "hate". That's a word I try really hard to never use, in any circumstance. It's an ugly word with ugly connotations. It's tossed around far too freely. Someone might say "I hate spinach" or "I hate traffic" just as easily as they'll say they "hate" a person or group or an idea. I find that not only disturbing, but dangerous. Especially in another language. If I were to use that word as freely as it is used here, how will native speakers view me? I'd imagine they would view me more negatively than I would hope. I already have the disadvantage of being an American (we're not as popular out in the rest of the world as we like to believe).

I guess this leaves me having to look for alternative words. Rather than say that I "hate" something, what can I say? For example, Bulgarians are fond of their yogurt and cheeses...two things I, generally, don't care for.  While not as easy as being rude and saying that I "hate" yogurt and cheese, I can simply say "киселото мляко/сиренето разстройва стомаха ми" (yogurt /cheese upsets my stomach) or "Имам непоносимост към лактоза" (I'm lactose intolerant), both of these are not untrue statements.

If someone does or says something I don't like, I can simply ask why they are saying/doing it. Maybe there is a cultural difference I don't know. For example, they shake their heads side-to-side for yes and up-down for no...the opposite of what I'm used to. I can learn new things. I can unlearn things as well.  

Here's a short list of words that I can't wait to be able to use in conversations. They're all pretty positive. 


  • Благодаря ти
  • Моля те
  • като
  • наслади се
  • чудесен
  • радост
  • удоволствие
  • любов

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Great Tuesday Flood

This is why I'm fun on road trips! - MCM Tammy's water broke and pert near flooded all of Main Street. The Krystiak twins had to be taken out of the dollar store in one of them blow-up rubber rafts. Old Ms. McGertz hasn't been seen and is presumed drowned. But let me back up. Bob Halpern is one of the two full-time police officers in the town of Sandy Lake. There are only about 600 residents, give or take, so the Cahill County sheriff's department does most of the heavy lifting. Bob has been sucking up every minute of overtime he can ever since they got word that Tammy was pregnant again. The last time, she ballooned up to damned near three hundred pounds. She had a craving for those hot spicy fried pickles, you know, the ones you can get at the county fair. She had Bob running all over Cahill County and as far away as Torrence trying to find the damned things. To most folks, Tammy barely hits 'pleasant' on most days. The added weight and aggravation of pregn...

Uninvited

If you know me, you know I'm a musician. Damned near 50 years treading the boards making noise.  Just like any other commercial venture, there are certain sales and marketing strategies involved with being a musician. One of the most basic and necessary being the demo tape. Back in my youth, the demo tape was usually a cassette; often recorded live. It gave the prospective purchaser (usually some guy at a bar who really didn't give a shit) an idea of how an act sounded, and what they could expect should they choose to hire ya.  Over the years, the demo tape itself became more polished. Some used it as a tool to garner interest from managers, publicists, producers and record execs. The issue I always had with these was that they were inherently dishonest. Rather than displaying how an artist actually sounded, it instead put forth an idea of what they could sound like - given perfect circumstances. Such conditions rarely exist.  By the late 80s, some of us used a VHS tape o...

My Books

 I won't lie. I sorta kinda need this post for my LinkTree thing. 😂 But since you're here, I'll guess you have some curiosity about my books. Here ya go! Just click on the cover and it should take you to the Barnes & Noble site (if you're so inclined). Thanks! - MM This is pretty much where it started. A collection of short stories. I've been pleasantly surprised at how well-received it's been. There are moments when something changes. Not dramatically. Not all at once. Just enough to notice. A conversation that feels slightly off. A familiar place that no longer feels quite the same. A small event that lingers longer than it should. In BODIES, Michael C. Metzger explores those quiet turning points where ordinary lives brush against the strange, the unsettling, and the unexpected. These eighteen stories are rooted in familiar ground: small towns, aging neighborhoods, workplaces, relationships, late-night conversations, and everyday routines. Beneath the sur...