Skip to main content

STOP KILLING CHILDREN!

My fellow Americans, we have failed. 

We have failed, as a people, as a nation, and as human beings. We The People, permit far too frequently, the murder of our young. I don't give a damn which 'side' you think you're on. In allowing these murders to continue, you have failed. I have failed. We have failed. Now before anyone starts rambling on about their 'rights' and the God-Damned 2nd Amendment (which most of you have probably not actually read), think about this: WE MURDER OUR OWN CHILDREN! Just because YOU or I didn't squeeze the trigger does NOT mean that WE ALL don't SHARE THE BLAME. Guns are too easily obtained. Plain and simple. Serious, reasonable background checks are not unthinkable, and shouldn't be unthinkable. Proper licensure AND insurance coverage should be mandatory. You want to own a gun? I have no problem with that. You want to hunt or protect your home? Again, no problem. BUT TAKE RESPONSIBILITY. Every round fired by anyone reflects on each of us. Yes, there are guns that are acquired illegally. Do I have the ultimate answer for that? No. We also have an excess of guns. Look up the numbers. We could easily arm the entire country. Some of those guns are going to slip through the cracks. Guns get lost and stolen. Our so-called law enforcement doesn't seem to do much about those. Maybe they figure gun owners can just report it to their homeowner's insurance. But the gun is still out there. Where is the accountability? For every gun made, there is a record. Manufacturing, sales, serial numbers (and yes, those can too easily be scratched off...another problem to fix). Guess what, other weapons can kill children too. Bombs require some skill, knowledge and time to prepare. That will slow down a killer. Knives can kill, but only one person at a time. It's slow. Poison can kill and the killer doesn't even have to be present, so why are guns the go-to choice? Ease of availability. That's why.

I have friends who are teachers, from preschool through universities. I worry about them daily as much as I worry about the students. As a kid, I loathed fire drills. It breaks my heart to think of kids across this country having to sit through active shooter drills. Teachers should be allowed to teach. They shouldn't have to have paramilitary skills. They sure as hell don't get paid enough to teach, let alone combat killers. 

I'm sick of school shootings. I'm sick of mass shootings. I'm sick of hearing about manifestos. This country has a serious mental health crisis and it's resulting in our children being murdered. I saw this picture today and it broke my heart. No child, anywhere, should ever have to fear going to school for any reason. The allegedly United States of America need to take education seriously. Without it, and without our children, we have no future. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Great Tuesday Flood

This is why I'm fun on road trips! - MCM Tammy's water broke and pert near flooded all of Main Street. The Krystiak twins had to be taken out of the dollar store in one of them blow-up rubber rafts. Old Ms. McGertz hasn't been seen and is presumed drowned. But let me back up. Bob Halpern is one of the two full-time police officers in the town of Sandy Lake. There are only about 600 residents, give or take, so the Cahill County sheriff's department does most of the heavy lifting. Bob has been sucking up every minute of overtime he can ever since they got word that Tammy was pregnant again. The last time, she ballooned up to damned near three hundred pounds. She had a craving for those hot spicy fried pickles, you know, the ones you can get at the county fair. She had Bob running all over Cahill County and as far away as Torrence trying to find the damned things. To most folks, Tammy barely hits 'pleasant' on most days. The added weight and aggravation of pregn...

Uninvited

If you know me, you know I'm a musician. Damned near 50 years treading the boards making noise.  Just like any other commercial venture, there are certain sales and marketing strategies involved with being a musician. One of the most basic and necessary being the demo tape. Back in my youth, the demo tape was usually a cassette; often recorded live. It gave the prospective purchaser (usually some guy at a bar who really didn't give a shit) an idea of how an act sounded, and what they could expect should they choose to hire ya.  Over the years, the demo tape itself became more polished. Some used it as a tool to garner interest from managers, publicists, producers and record execs. The issue I always had with these was that they were inherently dishonest. Rather than displaying how an artist actually sounded, it instead put forth an idea of what they could sound like - given perfect circumstances. Such conditions rarely exist.  By the late 80s, some of us used a VHS tape o...

Clearing up the Great Gretsch/Rockabilly Sham!

I've had a long-standing friendly argument with a couple of friends about guitars. This has gone on for 20+ years. We're all pickers, and we're all usually lumped under the rockabilly category too. They both love Gretsch guitars. I can take them or leave them. Rockabilly fans have asked me many times why I don't play a Gretsch, which is often associated with rockabilly music.   First, I point out that what I play ain't exactly rockabilly. Sure, there's a definite rockabilly influence...but there's also blues, jazz, surf, garage, punk, country, Tex-Mex, and even some Gypsy & African influences in my music. A Gretsch just ain't gonna cut it. Don't get me wrong, Gretsches have their place and their own, unique sound. But...for a picker who is coming from the afore-mentioned influences, a Gretsch just ain't gonna cut it.   The new Gretsches, mostly reissues, are well-made guitars. MUCH better made than the original ones, which tended to ...