Skip to main content

You really can't go back...

I spent the past two days in northeast Ohio (where I lived in the second half of the eighties). My time there was personally turbulent but never anything less than interesting (in retrospect).

It's been 21 years since I left there. If I hadn't, I probably would've drank myself to death...period. In the little area I lived in, there were 88 bars (back in the day) and not much else to do. I can tell you, I was drunk in every single one of those bars at one point or other.

To paraphrase Thomas Wolfe, you really can't go back. Just being back where I used to live felt, if nothing else, surreal. I described it to a friend there thusly: "It's like being somewhere you've never been but knowing where everything is". Everything changes...which is probably a good thing...but it was disconcerting to me just how much things had changed. Familiar storefronts bore strange names. The people in the streets looked different. Lots of my friends are gone, and those remaining had been replaced with older, more 'grown up', versions of themselves...for the most part.

For some reason, every hotel room in town was booked up, so I had to go a few miles north to get a room. Even the little town of Strasburg had changed. In short, it made me sad. Like a houseplant left untended, the places of my memories had withered, died and been replaced. I almost felt responsible. I momentarily wondered if I had stayed, would all of the old places and friends still be there? Most likely not...but it was just one of those odd moments that I have all too frequently these days.

But as the day progressed, I accepted the inevitability of change and while listening to a friend discussing some upcoming changes in town, I also realized the necessity of it all. It brought to mind a quote by Anatole France:

"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another."

(See! I DID pay attention in college!)

After a longer than usual drive back home, thanks to nonstop rain and some typically slow Ohio drivers, I'm back in my humble hovel and thinking of the changes that have happened to me over the years. I would have to say that I'm a nicer person than I used to be. I don't carry the anger that I used to.

I mentally envisioned the me of today with the me of 21 years ago. Aside from the obvious changes...hair, weight, wrinkles...its almost like two different people. That said, I find myself willing to embrace future changes. As I've grown older and hopefully wiser, I see the inevitable changes in life as adventures...and I'm always up for an adventure. I just usually need a nap before embarking on them now.

The funniest change, at least to me, was in my old neighborhood. I made the familiar left turn onto Ray Ave., drove past my old apartment and on up to the end of the street, where stands a very tiny cow pasture. I used to walk up to see the solitary cow that resided there almost daily. It always struck me as odd that a mere block from my apartment was a cow pasture.

I drove up, stopped the car...and there to my surprise were two cows. Still as lazy as ever, just laying around, but looking content and unbothered by all of the changes going on around them...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Money Miser

I'm usually not one to suggest products or suggest against products...unless I think they're really fantastic or utter pieces of crap. Well I'm here to tell ya, the Money Miser Coin Sorter SUCKS ROTTING ZOMBIE ASS! I've always been frugal...but don't take that as cheap . I work hard for my money and I like to save when/where I can. For the past few years (which from 2007-2010 were really tight), I've always kept a jar on the kitchen table, and when I get home at night (or in the morning as is the case most days) I dump whatever pocket change I have into said jar. I'd usually cash it in at Ye Olde Coinstar machine just before payday...in case I needed gas, lunch money, or just a night on the town. I would usually amass $60 or per month this way. This past year has been pretty decent financially so around May, I switched to a bigger jar. I hadn't taken anything OUT of the jar since around April. Well, the jar finally got so full (and so heavy I co...

Haunted Pittsburgh #2: A Ghost Close to Home

You could almost say I have a ghost in my own backyard! Well, not quite my back yard but at least close to home. You'd think that living close to a cemetary, I'd be telling of ghosts there but you'd be wrong! This is the story of Peter, a little boy ghost. I've heard this story for years! My family has lived in this area since the early 20th century. Up until recently, the oldest house in Allegheny county was our family homestead, but after the death of my great aunt Alberta, the house was sold. My grandmother and great aunts used to tell me stories of prohibition and all the crazy times. I wish my great aunt Ann was alive so I could get more information on this alleged 'bordello'. (she lived right up the street...but WAS NOT a working girl! LOL)Anyhoo, on with the story... BLAHA FLOWER SHOP (Etna, Allegheny County) Shop owner David Kornely relocated his flower and gift shop to Bridge Street in Etna in 1991. He had heard the building was haunted but had no secon...

FEEDING SERGEI

I've always got on well with gas station people. I can't really tell you why; maybe it goes back to my teenage years. I would often hang out at the Clark station, shooting the breeze, and smoking Marlboros or for a time, Lucky Strikes.  It probably started when a friend of the family started working there. He was my brothers' age, and sort of a big brother figure in some ways. Through him, I got to know the couple who owned and ran the franchise, and the other employees. Most importantly to me, it was a place I could hang out, smoke cigarettes, and people watch. The steady drip of customers and conversations always held my interest. A gas station is one of those places where, on a long enough timeline, you're going to meet everyone - and I did. Everyone had to stop for gas at some point. This was a time before gas stations began to focus on being convenience stores, although they already were, in a way. They were just more efficient. You could gas up the car, grab smoke...