Skip to main content

Just One Good Thing

I've seen evil up close. It ain't pretty. That said, I try to hold to the belief that everyone has at least one redeeming quality. True evil reared it's head at least a few times in the 20th century. Hitler and Manson come to mind. One would be hard pressed to think of two more evil beings.

That said, even these two utterly despicable beasts had a spark of beauty deep inside them. Manson was a musician and a songwriter. Hitler was an artist. Neither were considered 'good enough' by those considered the experts at the time.

Manson's music, which I've heard alleged recordings of, was pretty average sounding mid 60s proto-hippie stuff. I've heard worse. I've heard better. I've written worse. But it was his music. His art. It meant something to him. Being a musician, I can imagine how he felt playing it, writing it, and being given the opportunity to record it. I can also imagine the pain he felt when it wasn't considered 'good enough'.

I doubt this was the defining factor that turned him evil. If anything, it was the one pure thing about him that defined him as a human. He could relate to art and beauty. As could Hitler.

The history books will tell you that Adolph Hitler was a failed artist. This isn't quite as accurate as told. He did manage to make a meager living as an artist for a short time. He mostly painted landscapes and postcard images. While no da Vinci, his art wasn't horrible. It wasn't groundbreaking either. I've seen images of some of his work and as one who grew up around the art world, I can say I've seen worse go for relatively high prices. I personally like his Madonna and child painting. I doubt that his career would have ever gone to any great heights but an artist should never produce his/her art, regardless of the medium, for profit. If one can earn a living from it, that's great. More often, the artist will create simply because, as the old song says, "It's in him (or her) and it's gotta come out!"

Mother Mary with the Holy Child Jesus Christ (1913 Hitler)


I doubt that Hitler's shortcomings as an artist made him into a monster. As with pretty much anyone, look deep enough and you'll find that one redeeming quality. The one thing that makes them human. The thing that shows their vulnerability. The one quality that shows that they are capable of creating something good.

I've tried for a long time to find something of quality about the being currently holding the highest office in our country. I am beyond sad to say that I have found no such thing.

Donald John Trump may actually be the Anti-Human. I don't believe he has ever done anything for anyone but himself. Perhaps his father's shadow looms so great over his psyche that it damaged him beyond help from Day 1. I doubt we'll ever know the whole story.

As an American, I've been aware of Trump most of my life. He was the scumbag slumlord-turned-real estate developer who we've all heard about for years. The media often touted his latest scheme or latest failure...and he's had many of the latter. It wasn't fake news when the media created the caricature he became.

His so-called charitable foundation was a scam. His "university" was a scam. The few things he's actually built are tacky beyond belief. That's why he's taken to simply putting his name on other's work. Most of it is still pretty tacky.

This is a man who has lost more money than even many of the rich will ever even have. He has always seemed to bounce back. How? Because he's a whore who will sell himself just for the momentary belief that he's beautiful. While I can't say for certain, I'd guess he does this because he realizes, deep inside, just how truly vile he really is.

I'd like to believe that there is one good thing about him. My faith practically dictates that I look for it. I've tried and tried. I just can't find it. Not one good thing.

I'd like to think that maybe, just maybe, he's done his good at home, away from prying eyes. Maybe his good was done in bringing up his children to be good people. From everything we've seen of his progeny, it appears to not be the case. I worry that his youngest, possibly doomed from the start, will grow into something worse. Just imagine knowing that your family is among the most despised on the entire planet.

I'd like to find one selfless act...one beautiful thing he's done. I keep looking for it...and yet it escapes me. I've asked those who admire him...none can answer the question. They'll say things about his business empire or his business acumen. Well, his so-called empire only exists because of the money of others. He has ripped off those who built his walls. He'll most likely continue because let's face it, old habits die hard. No one can tell me one good thing.

I'm honestly starting to believe that he may just be the most evil person ever. He lives to want, not to give. His beliefs are based on greed and power. Those are the things a weak person strives for. A strong person strives for better. He just strives for more.

I don't think he's mentally ill. I say that from nearly three decades working with the mentally ill. I'd wager that he knows exactly what he's doing. There's no genius to it. There's no crafty long game to it. He's the ultimate spoiled brat and he just doesn't care about anyone but himself. I can imagine him blowing up the world just to try to save face.

Yet I'm still looking for one good thing about him. Just one good thing. Is it some well-hidden secret? If it exists, let us know. If there is that faintest glimmer of hope, show us. Show us just one good thing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Great Tuesday Flood

This is why I'm fun on road trips! - MCM Tammy's water broke and pert near flooded all of Main Street. The Krystiak twins had to be taken out of the dollar store in one of them blow-up rubber rafts. Old Ms. McGertz hasn't been seen and is presumed drowned. But let me back up. Bob Halpern is one of the two full-time police officers in the town of Sandy Lake. There are only about 600 residents, give or take, so the Cahill County sheriff's department does most of the heavy lifting. Bob has been sucking up every minute of overtime he can ever since they got word that Tammy was pregnant again. The last time, she ballooned up to damned near three hundred pounds. She had a craving for those hot spicy fried pickles, you know, the ones you can get at the county fair. She had Bob running all over Cahill County and as far away as Torrence trying to find the damned things. To most folks, Tammy barely hits 'pleasant' on most days. The added weight and aggravation of pregn...

Clearing up the Great Gretsch/Rockabilly Sham!

I've had a long-standing friendly argument with a couple of friends about guitars. This has gone on for 20+ years. We're all pickers, and we're all usually lumped under the rockabilly category too. They both love Gretsch guitars. I can take them or leave them. Rockabilly fans have asked me many times why I don't play a Gretsch, which is often associated with rockabilly music.   First, I point out that what I play ain't exactly rockabilly. Sure, there's a definite rockabilly influence...but there's also blues, jazz, surf, garage, punk, country, Tex-Mex, and even some Gypsy & African influences in my music. A Gretsch just ain't gonna cut it. Don't get me wrong, Gretsches have their place and their own, unique sound. But...for a picker who is coming from the afore-mentioned influences, a Gretsch just ain't gonna cut it.   The new Gretsches, mostly reissues, are well-made guitars. MUCH better made than the original ones, which tended to ...

Uninvited

If you know me, you know I'm a musician. Damned near 50 years treading the boards making noise.  Just like any other commercial venture, there are certain sales and marketing strategies involved with being a musician. One of the most basic and necessary being the demo tape. Back in my youth, the demo tape was usually a cassette; often recorded live. It gave the prospective purchaser (usually some guy at a bar who really didn't give a shit) an idea of how an act sounded, and what they could expect should they choose to hire ya.  Over the years, the demo tape itself became more polished. Some used it as a tool to garner interest from managers, publicists, producers and record execs. The issue I always had with these was that they were inherently dishonest. Rather than displaying how an artist actually sounded, it instead put forth an idea of what they could sound like - given perfect circumstances. Such conditions rarely exist.  By the late 80s, some of us used a VHS tape o...