Skip to main content

The Greatest is gone...






Les Paul died today at age 94.



For those of you who have lived under a rock in a cave your entire lives, Les Paul was possibly the greatest guitarist who ever lived. He was also responsible in part for almost every bit of music you've ever listened to. How you may ask? He pretty much invented multitrack recording. Without Les Paul and his whacky, wizardous, ideas, music would not be what it is today.

Last night, I dreamt that a friend and I were dueting on Les Paul/Mary Ford songs. All morning long, I was humming old Les Paul songs. Mind you, this itself isn't unheard of...but its not where my mind has been lately. At work, around 1:00pm EST, while humming one of the guitar parts to "Waiting For The Sunrise", I received a text message that Les Paul had died of complications from pneumonia. I was greatly saddened by this. Not so much because he passed away...the man had a long, rich, meaningful life. He'll be remembered for thousands of years. No, I was saddened because I only got to see him play live once, and was too damned young to fully appreciate his amazing talents.


Just a few months ago, my friend Sean offered to put me up in a hotel room in NYC and pay for my ticket to see Les Paul at the Iridium Club. God how I wanted to go! But finances and legal troubles prevented me from getting there. Hell, I was ready to hitchhike if necessary! but I had to make one of those grown up decisions. Sean had a great time and even got to meet Les for a bit. Sean informed me that although Les was slowed a bit by arthritis, his playing was still as amazing as ever.

While I was admittedly envious, I was glad that my good friend got to see Les Paul. When I look at these photos from the show, I can see a familiar look in Les Paul's eyes. Its the look every guitarist I know shares. A look of wonderment and awe at the magical instrument we hold and play. It was heartwarming to see Les, in his 90s. a man who was considered a god among men by his peers, sharing that same look that we pickers all do.
Muhammed Ali used to say that he was "The Greatest". That statement, coming from most men, would be pure boasting. But Les Paul never needed to...everyone already knew he was the best and Les just took it all in stride. I've read many times how he was still continually amazed at the many different styles of guitar playing there are and the many ways that musicians communicate with the guitar. In most cases, we wouldn't be communicating the way we do with them if it hadn't been for Les Paul. As if being the greatest guitarist and inventing multi-track recording wasn't enough, he essentially, if not invented, at least perfected the solid body electric guitar. His is the name on one of the most popular models ever.

If you've never listened to the man, do yourself the favor...listen. Whether he was playing hillbilly in the 20s, blues in the 30s, jazz in the 40s, pop in the 50s or country in the 70s (with the legendary Chet Atkins), his playing was just simply amazing. He would throw in licks that would just stop you in your tracks. In the old days, you'd lift the needle and play that spot again. Tapes made rewinding to those spots even easier and digital even easier still...but no one has yet to master Les Paul's style or sound. The closest was my late friend Danny Gatton. And he always wanted to impress Les with his ability to copy him...but Les was unimpressed. His reaction was, "so what? I did that 40 years ago!" and he'd give Danny a good natured laugh.

The greatest there ever was is gone...but he's not likely to ever be forgotten. Rest in peace Mr. Polfus. You inspired so many. And really, what more can a man hope to achieve?
-MM
photos courtesy of Sean Chambers

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not At MY Age! (for the nebby folks)

 This will come as no surprise to anyone - I'm not a morning person. Those of us who prefer the dark, quiet hours of the night do occasionally have to deal with the reality that there is a 5:30 in the AM as well as PM. It's an uncomfortable reality, but that's just life.  I had to deal with the AM version yesterday. Long story short, I had a doctor's appointment at 8:30, had no idea where the office was, and still had to attempt to function. My morning routine is non-negotiable. It's really the only way I can deal with most people. Yes, copious amounts of coffee are involved.  I had a check-up last week. My regular doc (I call him "Doogie" but I'm not convinced he fully understands the reference), who is younger than some shoes I own, was concerned about a growth on my nose. I wasn't...but I don't have the magic letters following my name, so my opinion is moot.  Let me be clear, I've dealt with this before. As cancers go, my previous bout o...

Meatball

 I was always a dog person. I grew up with dogs. Dear ol' dad was never a fan of cats. Mom loved all animals. But ours was a dog house. Plain and simple. My first experience living with a cat was thanks to a roommate. He had a 40-pound lump of feline ferocity named Meatball. When he moved in with his girlfriend, the cat was left behind, due to the girlfriend's alleged allergies. I believe the reality was more like she was allergic to the oversized beast's personality.  Meatball was just mean. Maybe that's the wrong word. In his defense, he was a foundling. My roomie worked at a pizza joint, and Meatball was found in the alley behind the place...noshing on a discarded meatball. This was the cat's preferred food.  Aside from his obesity, Meatball had ear mites or something as a kitten. His ears flopped down, not unlike a pig.  Just imagine a 40-pound cat, with floppy ears, and a bad disposition. Oh, he was mostly white with some black spots. On the rare occasions he w...

The Alleged Life and Times of Wynn Rainey

Inspiration can come from the most unexpected situations. - MCM Everyone in town knew Wynn Rainey, but no one really knew Wynn Rainey. Even today, in and around Downey Bluff, the Rainey name will get folks to talking. As far away as Norwich, people still remember him. Everyone has a story, and more importantly, an opinion. Depending on who you talk to, some will say Wynn Rainey was a man of means. The Wenberg family, who owned and ran the local savings and loan, did a lot of business with him, if stories are to be believed. Oddly enough, there never seemed to be an active account in his name. The same people who told these tales were the same ones who’d tell you that assets are better than cash. Wynn Rainey always seemed to have the latter. Usually at least a pocketful. Some would tell you he was loose as a goose with his money. Some would tell you he could squeeze ten cents out of a buffalo nickel’s ass. Lots of the old timers will share stories of Rainey paying everyone’s tab at...