Monday, October 26, 2009

I Wish I Was An Okie From Muskogee

I wish I was an Okie from Muskogee...you know, that place where even squares can have a ball.
It seems like too many people have lost the ability to just have FUN anymore. These days, it seems like folks can't have a good time without drinking, smoking pot, snorting something, popping a pill or belittling someone else (usually someone not present). What happened?

I thought that we, as a species, were evolving. Instead, it seems that we've stunted...and as 8th graders to boot! I remember when I was a kid, I couldn't wait to be 'grown up' so that I wouldn't have to deal with childishness anymore. Alas, it seems that the grown ups have all gone off and died and left the brats in charge.

Everywhere I look these days, I see rampant immaturity. No one wants to take responsibility for anything anymore. Guess what, part of taking responsibility means facing up to the mistakes we make. These days, it seems that most folks would rather sweep their follies under the proverbial carpet rather than admit a mistake. Worse yet is the immature attitudes people carry these days. I could point out case upon case to quantify this but what's the use? We all know it.

I remember when we waved Old Glory down at the courthouse and we even had Christmas decorations up. But nowadays, we might offend someone. What the hell????You may be asking "what's the point Metzger?" but the point is, all of us, whether it be politics, the media, entertainment or just your average working folk, we're all too busy acting childish to accept the responsibilites we have to face.

Yes, this country is in a mess and would you like to know who's to blame? We ALL are! For too long, we all sat idly by waiting for someone else to take responsibility. When the credit, housing and mortgage crises were starting, did any of us ask "What the heck's going on here?". No. We didn't. And if any of us did, we didn't ask loud enough.Now we're a country in crisis. The numbers we hear on the news are way off. It's a lot worse than we're led to believe. I know. I'm one of the numbers not being counted. Why not? Because I'm not a statistic. Yet.

So here's an idea: why don't we ALL take responsibility? Let's teach our children to do the same. Yes, we're in a mess...but WE can fix it! We can make this country, and this entire planet, a great place again! Let's get our priorities straight. Let's be responsible. Let's make those in authority accountable for the powers we grant them. If they can't be, then its up to us to take it back from them and give to someone who will be accountable.

Common sense is no longer common. Wisdom is becoming a myth. What say we fix the problem before it's too late.

I wish I was an Okie from Muskogee...but CNN, Fox News and the internet have probably ruined that place too....

1 comment:

  1. Hi there from Muskogee Oklahoma USA. We do still wave ole glory down at the Courthouse and we're livin right and bein free! If you will go to our website and click on the butterfly that turns into a guitar (www.muskogeechamber.org), we'll send you something that will make you an official Okie from Muskogee. Until then, you've got the right idea. You don't have to live in Muskogee Oklahoma to be an Okie from Muskogee. Come visit us sometime.

    ReplyDelete